Variable valve timing, 2 switches

James1436215376

My engine (in factory form) runs my inlet cam from 0-1700 in a retarded position then from 1700-4700 its 20 degrees advanced, THEN from 4700-6000 its retarded again. Can my LinkPlus achieve this, maybe using drive a and b?? I.E at 1700 drive (a) switches on and activates a relay which in turn supplies 12V to the cam solenoid = 20degrees adv., then at 4700 drive (B) switches off, turning off a relay thats in the cam solenoids ground circuit. Is there another way to achive this on/off operation of the solenoid or will my way work. Thanks for any help

LinkPlus G2 c an do this using a GP Outout configured for multiple conditions, but as you are talking about Drive A and Drive B, I assume its an early LinkPlus?  If that is the case, then you are on the right track with the two relays.  Rather than switching the solenoids +12V (as this will probably be supplied in the factory loom), run the solenoids ground wire through a normally closed relay to drive A.  Turn drive A on at 1700 RPM.  Use drive b to switch the relay on (open the contacts) at 4700 RPM.  that will turn the solenoid off.  That way you only need one relay and dont have to touch the power supply.  Most 5 terminal relays have a normally closed set of contacts labelled 30 and 87a.

Thanks for the quick reply Asley, so I run the solenoids ground through 87a and switching on drive a will ground the solenoid, then by running 12v through the control circuit to drive b having that switch on at 4700 therefore moving the contact off 87a, breaking the solenoids ground circuit. Will this work in reverse, i.e revs going down below 4700 drive b will turn off and drive a turn on??

My engine is a 32 valve 5 litre V8 (M119) form a Mercedes sl500, the reason behind the varying intake cams are : 0 to between 1000-2000rpm - retarded = improved idle, improved cylinder scavenging, reduced valve overlap. Between 1000-2000rpm to 4700rpm - advanced = increased torque, reduced waste of intake charge. Above 4700rpm - retarded = intake valves open and close later, improved volumetric efficiency