V44... Couple of questions

Guest |271|

Hey all,

I'm going to be running a v44 in my toyota corolla rally car. the engine is the 4ag, and I've got a few quick questions. For starters, as I am going to run quad throttle bodies, should I put the air temp sensor in the airbox right out side of the throttles, or in one of the throttles? I plan on running sequential injection, but is there any benefit in using direct fire over wasted spark in a naturally aspirated race motor? (ie, is there any hp/torque/response benefit?)

Another question I have is about the flatshift. The website advertises it as being able to shift at full gas without the clutch on a normal, synchromesh gearbox. I understand the idea of cutting the power for the shift, but wont the synchromesh box still require the clutch? Shouldn't you just not have to lift? Also, is there a guide around as to how to hook it up? I have searched a bit, but haven't seen much for it.

Timm

I would put the air temp sensor in the airbox.

Wasted spark is fine for a NA car.

You could install a steering wheel mounted switch connected to a digital input to activate flatshift.

Flatshift is possible even for synchro boxes although cut time may need to be longer than dog boxes.

Timm,

The air temp sensors needs to be in the air flow. If the air box is large and you mount the sensor in a dead air position, it will not give the correct readings. If you can mount the sensor so it reads moving air then the air box is okay. I have put the sensor in one intake runner on multi throttle engines.

There is no power difference between sequential or wasted spark ignition. On very high boost (over 40 psi) engine, wasted spark can cause problems with spark power, as the spark plug firing on the exhaust stroke gets most of the energy.

I must change the flatshift statement. Yes you can change gears without a clutch using normal gearbox, but it is hard on the synchromesh. If flatshift is used regularly, then a dog box should be used.

Would there be any advantage with the flatshift on a synchro box?

No only disadvantages. Long term you will damage the synchromesh.

The synchromesh gets the new gear spinning at the correct speed so the gear can be shifted. A longer cut time is needed then with a dog box. The fact the cut time is longer, is another disadvantage.

I mean, it would just be wasting gas to keep WOT on each shift, right?

When using motorsport features like flatshift, antilag or launch control, the last thing you would be concerned about fuel economy. These feature are for racing, not everyday road cars trying to save the planet. In fact the plan is for racing... is to use as much fuel as possible with the most pollution and with as much noise as possible... :twisted:

The whole idea of using Flatshift is for faster gear changes. To make them faster the Flatshift cuts the ignition so you can change gears without having to press the clutch. It is the pressing of the clutch that makes gear changes slow.

If your car is a rally car and you are going to use flatshift, then you need to use a dog box, as a synchro box will not last.

Ray.

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

When using motorsport features like flatshift, antilag or launch control, the last thing you would be concerned about fuel economy. These feature are for racing, not everyday road cars trying to save the planet. In fact the plan is for racing... is to use as much fuel as possible with the most pollution and with as much noise as possible... :twisted:

Thats funny Ray. :lol: