Boost control and IAT into v44 skyline plugin ecu

Guest |249|

hey guys,

i'm about to run the v44 plugin board. its just about built and is going to be ready to start this week. its an r33 gtst, rb30/25 auto.

i've got a few questions before i get it going.

1. will the vipec work with the standard auto gearbox? im not very worried about the feedback to the engine to retard timing on gear changes so if thats the only functionality i lose then thats fine with me (its actually a positive).

2. i bought the recommended MAC valve for the vipec boost controller. i've wired it into where my standard boost control valve goes, does it get controlled by the standard wiring? i.e. will changes in the boost map control the valve? do i need to change anything in the software settings?

3. can the Vi-Pec IAT sensor be wired into the stock AFM wiring or do i need the expansion port?

4. is it possible to change the scale in the software from mPa to Psi?

1. Yes it will work..but not like it did with the stock ECU. The gearbox will shift gears, but where and how the shifts are made, will be different. If you are fussy, then it is not for you.

2. If the boost valve is wired in place of the stock valve, the ECU will control it. You may need to make the restrictor in the line coming from the manifold smaller to get higher boost.

3. The air temp sensor can be wired to the air flow meter wires. You will need to move the signal wire from pin 27 (Volt 4 to pin 36 (Temp 2 )

4. No..

Ray.

thanks Ray,

im not fussed at all, there is a 5 speed dog box in the works for it anyway.

RE:

3. The air temp sensor can be wired to the air flow meter wires. You will need to move the signal wire from pin 27 (Volt 4 to pin 36 (Temp 2 )

makes sence but just to confirm (for noobs like me who arent as vipec savvy as you), i need to connect the signal wire off the AFM (pin 27) to the ecu's pin 36, then adjust the settings to read:

Analog Channel > AN Temp 2 > Inlet Air Temperature.

the positive of the IAT goes to pin 26, and the negative to pin 27, is this correct?

in the map that i was given its got AN Temp 3 set to Inlet Air Temp. this is on the expansion connector wiring so im guessing ive got to turn this off?

cheers,

joe

i need to connect the signal wire off the AFM (pin 27) to the ecu's pin 36, then adjust the settings to read:

Analog Channel > AN Temp 2 > Inlet Air Temperature.

Joe,

Yes this is correct.

The air temp sensor has no positive and negative. Connect one wire to the MAF signal wire and the other to the MAF ground wire. Do NOT plug the connector back into the MAF after this.

Temp3 is on the expansion connector. Disable this selection as Air temp.

thanks Ray,

i'm not sure which is the ground wire on the MAF. i have pins 26 and 27 and a third, unnumbered, showing on the wiring diagram im looking at. is pin 26 the MAF ground?

cheers,

joe

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ray, I sorted out the wiring yesterday.

Just a suggestion, i found that i didnt have a wire on my loom i could connect the Pin 27 wire on to at the Pin 36 location, you may want to think about supplying one of those pin connectors that you supply with the IAT plug for the people needing to add one to the Pin 36 location. It will need to be shorter than the one supplied although i used heat-shrink to cover the exposed part of the pin. I had to use one of the supplied ones because the ones i had available were significantly longer so i used the longer ones for the IAT plug as it didnt make a difference if they were longer or not.

either way i bought the expansion loom for my wideband but would rather use the temp sensors inputs for oil temp and either a 2nd water temp or transmission oil temp for the auto.

is it possible to wire in a warning light or buzzer for when a sensor reaches a certain point and be controlled by the ECU or even make the check engine light come on like in the PowerFC?

is it possible to wire in a warning light or buzzer for when a sensor reaches a certain point and be controlled by the ECU or even make the check engine light come on like in the PowerFC?

To make the engine check light come on when the 2nd temp sensor is reading high, select Aux 7 output as a GP Output, set the the condition to AN Temp > Value 1. Set the value to the temperature you want the engine check light to come on.

Ray.

2nd temp sensor is the IAT, i want the 1st temp sensor to switch on (engine coolant temp) so i've chosen AN Temp 1 instead. I've tried looking for where the knock sensors would be connected to so i could make the engine light come on with no luck, what are the steps in doing this?

Sorry missed seeing your post.

Knock sensor input on the V44 must come via a knock amplifier that outputs a voltage in the 0 to 5 volt range. This signal is connected to any volt input. If you do not what the ECU to control the knock and just turn on a light, then select the volt input as Voltage 0 to 5v. Then select a Aux output as GP Output and set the condition to AN Voltage > Value. The light would then turn on based on the voltage/knock level. You would have to workout what that level was.

If you want the ECU to control the knock and turn on a light, then you would select the volt input as Knock (0 to 5v). The Aux output for the light would be setup the same way.

I really think a light is going to be misleading as the knock is not going to be at the same voltage all the time. At higher RPM there is more noise/voltage compared with the engines peak torque rpm.

Ray.