ECR33 Plug In

Byron

We have an AdaptaLink for R33 GTS/GTR using the LEM G3... That gives a pretty good copst effective plug in solution.  The LinkPlus G2 could be wired in also.  Later in the year we will also have a more advanced (but more expensive) plug in solution.

• 2 weeks later...

The computer runs in a wasted spark configuration where three channels drive six coils (two each).  There are two things that end the life of Nissan coils, one is a design defect in them, the other is too much dwell time.  It is up to the tuner to set the correct dwell period as to not overheat the coils.  As far as the defect goes, the join in the two halves of the plastic moulding around the coils body provides poor insulation.  When people open up spark plug gaps or run more boost the higher spark voltages cause the spark to jump thorugh the moulding join onto the inside of the spark plug tube in the head.  From my extensive Nissan coil testing experience, only about 30% of coils fitted to turbo cars pass the test and about 80% fitted to non turbo cars.  In general, when people blame ECU's on blowing up coils it is usually because either the tuner doesn't know how to set dwell time correctly, or the coils are about to die anyway and the increase in electrical load due to a boost increase, or new plugs finishes them off.  An option is to run a three channel wasted spark arrangement using three twin post coils and HT leads.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ashley for that information. What would you suggest to do in the case of running a three channel wasted spark setup. I dont know a great deal about these i must admit however ive heard a combination of vn commodore coils and leads seems to work reasonable. Ive also seen falcon and mitsi coils used. Can you give me some info regarding this? Would it otherwise be a better idea to use a G2? Thanks Byron

Hey Ashley, im really interested in this as id like to buy my computer soon. So if i run a set of wasted spark coils (what type do you reccomend) with leads and a three channel ignitor on a G3 everything will work perfectly and i wont have any problems with coil failure and as im going to be running three channels im not going to have any problems with the spark. Just for my understanding also as an ECU is a big purchase. WHat does the 3 channel amplifier do?

The ECU has "low level" outputs for ignition channels (as all factory and aftermarket ECU's do).  these outputs are not powerful enough to directly drive coils and it is not desirable (for electrical noise reasons) to drive coils from inside the ECU.  The amplifier (Igniter) provides the high current drive for the coils and can be placed near the coils keeping high current wiring short.  NZEFI are doing a coil kit for RB engines...