idle up for lights heater heated screen power steering etc [ mr2 ]

simon gardner

Hi Simon,

A couple of ways to do this.

1. Run closed loop idle control, this way the ECU will try to achieve your target regardless of additional loading.

2. The second method is more of a work around and was used on some factory setups in the early 90's. You could connect specific load signal (blower fan, headlights, etc) through a diode on each one to a digital input on the ECU. You could then configure this digital input as 'Power Steer' and then use the power steer idle trim to compensate. The purpose of the diode is to make sure that when you turn your headlight on that your blower fan doesn't come on also.

I would recommend the first method.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Simon,

Just a standard diode, something like one of these

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=ZR1005&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=973#1 

The ECU has no provision for increasing idle upon supply voltage change.

When something like electrical load increases, the alternator works harder, there by increasing the load on the engine. This pulls the RPM down. If you are running closed loop idle control the ECU will try and maintain the target RPM you have specified by adjusting the idle solenoid (or stepper). So the additional load from electrical devices turning on should not cause any problems. If the ECU is not adjusting the idle quick enough to compensate for the additional load you may need to adjust your gain tables.

On an open loop idle control system the amount of additional air the solenoid will need to bypass will vary depending on the load. normally, the aim is to keep the idle at a steady RPM rather than increase it.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Simon,

If you want to do it that way I would do the following.

According to what I have read a VSV will typically draw around 250ma, but it would be wise to measure the current draw of yours before trying it. The Auxiliary outputs can handle up to 2 amps, so you will be fine to drive the VSV direct from the ECU so long as its current draw is less than this. 

I would recommend setting the Auxiliary Output something like this:

Function: GP Output

SwOff Timer: 0.3s

Switch Logic: Cond 1 AND 2 AND 3

SW Cond 1: TPS % >

TP(Main): 2%

SW Cond 2: ECT <

ECT: 70 degrees

SW Cond 3: DI Value1 = ON    

DI Value1 = ON: X (Where X is the DI where you connect up the various electrical load signals through diodes)

The VS would receive its 12v+ supply through an ignition switched power supply, and then the ECU would earth the VSV only when the engine temp is less than 70 degrees AND the throttle position is less than 2% AND the DI is on because there is a electrical load present.

You may have to play with the numbers a little until you are happy with the way it acts.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

im having an issue getting a vsv to work via di 1 input configured to aux output.

basicially in the boot there is a wire which becomes live when the lights are switched on or the rear defogger , the factory ecu used to idle up when it got signal from the lights or fogger .

i have looked at the factory wiring diagrams and there are diodes already in place for the 2 curcuits.

i want to wire a vsv solenoid so the when i pop the lights on the vsv kicks in to raise the idle ever so slightly . iv tried wiring it directly to the wire in the boot and it works perfectly , but it would work at all temperatures which isnt what i want really . i have tried how scott explained to me above and i cant get it to work how i think it should . i have also placed a doide in the wiring from the wire which comes live with the lights , which i now dont think i need .

am i right in thinking i should be able to wire and configure it how im explaining , i know iv missed something along the way , but im a little confused , iv retraced my steps and before i do anything else i would love your input and advice  on how to configure it . can i wire this fogger and light feed direct to the ecu without my diode in place . it measures 12 volt with the meter . many thanks

regards simon

Hi Simon,

From your post it sounds like the lights and defogger come through diodes already and you can wire it to the ECU. Connect this to one of your Digital Inputs. You should be able to see in the PCLink runtime values if the ECU is seeing the ON signal.

It also sounds like you know the VSV will do the job. Wire the VSV to be controlled by an aux output.

In PClink set the Aux output up as GP output with the following settings:

SwOff Timer: 0.3s

Switch Logic: Cond 1 AND 2

SW Cond 1: DI Value1 = ON

DI Value1 = ON: X (The DI channel number you have used)

Sw Cond 2: ECT <

ECT: 60 °C (or whatever engine temp you find works best)

Once you have this setup, you could create a digital guage in PCLink displaying your DI, you Aux Ouput and ECT. You should be able to see all the conditions coming on and the output switching on.

Cheers,

Scott

hi scott

thank you for the reply , i have now sorted this issue and its working as it should , the mistake i had made was pretty foolish really , i hadent put a number 1 in the box next to di 1  , 1 = on if you see what i mean it took me a little while to figure it out . but all is good now .

scott just while your here  - is it ok to wire 2 aux outputs to the same vsv .

many thanks for your time

simon

hi scott

what im looking to do now is wire up the power steering so when you move the steering while the idle raises up slightly .

iv found the correct wire in the boot and its putting out around 5 volts of signal . the mr2 uses an electric power steer pump , which when you move the steering wheel drops the revs due to load  , so i want to wire a vsv up so when the ecu sees the signal from the wheel the revs raise up slightly , i have a 1mz engine in another car which is running factory standard ecu and this is what happen in that car and i want the same if at all poss in my mr2 but with the link ecu .

iv got the vsv wired so when you flip the defogger on or side lights cause they are on the same factory curcuit the idle raises slightly and it works perfectly , i was going to see if i can use the same vsv , it doesnt matter if i cant because i have a spare vsv which i can plumb in for the power steering ,

but how would i configure it ,,,,,,,iv looked but im just not sure with it having a 5 ish volt signal

thank you for your time

simon 

Hi Simon,

If you connect the 5v signal from the power steering switch to a spare digital input the ECU will be able to detect it fine. You can then add a condition to your existing VSV auxiliary output. You would do this by changing it to (1 and 2) or 3 and then setting the 3rd condition to be when your power steer DI is on. 

This would mean the one VSV would work under a variety of settings. If you wanted to add even more conditions you can use the virtual auxiliaries and then set one of the conditions on your VSV Aux output to be the Virtual Auxiliary you have used.

Cheers,

Scott