Wide Band O2 into V44 and Race Fuel

Guest |260|

Hello Guys,

Newbie question #3 for me.

In looking at the V44 wiring diagram that member GTI graciously posted for me, I dont see an input or connection for any type of Wide Band O2 sensor, or any O2 sensor for that matter.

In my old setup which was a chip based AN, we did away with any O2 sensor input.

Mainly because my old tuner said I didnt need it for running at WOT which is most of the time.

1) Does the V44 take an O2 sensor input, if so how does it get in?

2) What is the effect of leaded race fuels on these sensors? I run a leaded race fuel.

3) Is this O2 signal needed for a race engine that spends most of its time at WOT?

If it matters, car is a BMW E30 M3, S14 engine, Normally Aspirated, 4 cyl, 16v.

Thanks much.

Jimmy P

Jimmy,

1. The V44 has 5 x Volt inputs. Any of these can be a narrow or wideband 02 input.

2. Leaded fuel will shorten the life of the sensors. You should get about 10 to 20 hours from the sensor, before you kill it.

3. No 02 signal is needed after tuning on a race car. On a road car you may want to run narrow band close loop control to keep a catalytic converter working correctly.

Jimmy,

1. The V44 has 5 x Volt inputs. Any of these can be a narrow or wideband 02 input.

2. Leaded fuel will shorten the life of the sensors. You should get about 10 to 20 hours from the sensor, before you kill it.

3. No 02 signal is needed after tuning on a race car. On a road car you may want to run narrow band close loop control to keep a catalytic converter working correctly.

Thanks Ray,

So by the sounds of it, I can tune the car with the O2 in, run it for a day or two at the track to keep an eye on the tune, then pull it out to save it for the next tuning?

So these "4 Analog Voltage Inputs":

8 Auxiliary Outputs

4 Digital Inputs

4 Analog Voltage Inputs

2 Temperature Inputs

3 Load Inputs (MAP, TPS, MAF)

2 Trigger Inputs (Reluctor, Optical or Hall Sensors)

Are these inputs on the main connector or is there an alternate input?

Is it a wise move to remove the O2 sensor after tuning and running a few track days?

Do people do this, or just kill the sensors?

Thanks for the information.

Cheers

jimmy

Jimmy,

You can tune the car with a signal from a wideband 02 analyzer connected to one of the analog volt inputs. You cannot tune the car with a 02 sensor directly connected to a analog volt input.

No 02 signal is needed after tuning on a race car, or any other car. On a road car you can directly connect a narrow band 02 sensor for close loop control, to keep a catalytic converter working correctly.

The volt inputs can be seen on the V44 connector pinout in your manual. You can also see the pinout on the Vipec website. http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/techdata.htm