Simple Question?

Luke Hilhorst

Hi I have a Skyline with GTS Link. While racing yesterday I noticed a bad miss under medium throttle during warmup. This disappeared as I was on full throttle constantly after that! The next race during warm up the car died completely when any throttle was applied. This happened after 1/2 a lap, then it wouldn't even idle. Lack of fuel I thought. Tested fuel inlet pressure at 40 psi (car runs again next day) at idle or part throttle. Return pressure 0psi. Is this normal? I had a turbo flange leak which created a lot of underbonnet heat. Could this have affected the MAP sensor?

It sounds like you were loosing your MAP signal as this effectively equates to loosing fuel.   40psi fuel pressure and 0 in the return sounds OK, but you should check that the fuel pressure does not fall off at full power (a common skyline problem) as that would indicate inadequate fuel flow.  But from what you described, it sounds like the map signal is failing.  Check the map signal using PCLink or a tuning module while the fault is happening to make sure MAP readings are correct...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The parker solenoid is the one I got. Now my tuner has told me it does not have enough airflow to control the boost. I have a garret GT3582 and a Tial style wastegate, with a 14 psi spring. The wastegate is controlling it at 15psi, but when he plumbs in the solenoid, the boost goes out of control. Can you suggest another solenoid, or suggest any way of modifying this one? I can run the car without it, but would like to adjust the boost via the Link.

Run two solenoids in parallel (as a factory EVO 9 does).  Note that if a three port solenoid is too small, then the trouble should be getting enough boost, not getting too much boost.  If it cant bleed off enough air, then the wastegate actuator will still get alot of pressure causing lower boost levels.

Running two solenoids in parallel means that you use 'T' pieces to plumb the solenoids up beside each other.  Make sure you fit the 'T''s  near to the wastegate and pressure source.  Also make sure you use reasonable sized hoses and keep them short as possible.  First thing is to plumb one solenoid and set the duty cycle to 0 all the way accross the boost control table.  This will make the solenoid stay shut.  If it is correctly plumbed the boost will be exactly as when the pressure line is plumbed directly to the wastegate actuator (because it effectively is).  After that, start increasing the duty cycle in the table and bring boost up to where you want it.  If you cannot control duty cycle with 0% duty cycle then there is a mechanical or plumbing issue...