Link + Motorcycle engine compatibility.................

Joseph Ottesen

Hello Joseph I own a tuning shop in NZ and we have a LEM G3 running a Honda CBR1000 motor which we have of coarse injected. The motor also has a TD04 turbo and is setup in a small jetboat cross jetski. The link runs it really well. We kept the lower crank sensor (8-1) and have fitted a cam sensor to allow coil per plug ignition. I think the triggering is the biggest thing. Our motor is governed to 10000rpm at the moment. We may opt to increase the number on the crank sensor to allow better resolution but time will tell. Being user confirable made it easy to sort the setting up of the ECU and we have simply turned more features on as the job has progressed. Highly recommended . Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Joseph, Hi. I'm based in Auckland. Where are you? I am brand new to UCU's and to engines in general, but work in the IT industry, and am comfortable with software. I have more questions than would seem polite to ask on a forum such as this. But here are a few... I'm building a two-seat aircraft, and hope to power it with a BMW R1200 motorcycle engine. Unfortunately, this engine is run almost entirely by an ECU which takes a zillion inputs (eg: ABS system, tyre pressure etc) which in an aircraft would not be required. My understanding is that if these inputs are not there, the system logs an error, and the ECU can get a bit miffed by this. I could opt for the slightly older R1150 engine, but it is heavier, not as powerful, more gas-hungry and most importantly, does not have a balanced crank. So I thought - if I really want to pursue the R1200 then I might have to get a Link UCU and dispense with the BMW unit. Has anyone done this? Would you think that this is doable? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Regards, Duncan