Firmware updater software error

William B. Cushman

I reported yesterday that the firmware updater in the latest PCLink version (V4.6.9.738) would not start from PCLink or directly from Windows 2000 Pro running via VMware on a MacBook Pro. The possibility certainly existed that this was a problem with VMware and I wanted to check that possibility. So, I did the following experiment. I have a desktop PC with Win 2K as one of the boot options (I normally use Linux), so I installed PCLink on that machine, thus eliminating VMware from the issue. PCLink again ran nicely, albeit without connecting to anything. When I tried to start the Firmware updater, however, I got the same error message as before. I then went to the folder where the updater was stored and attempted to start it by clicking on it and also by using the 'Run' feature in the Windows Start menu. In both cases I got this error window: 'Updater.exe is not a valid Win32 application.' Of course the G4 was not attached, but the program failed well before that was an issue . . . so I think it must be a program bug. I hope this helps with debugging. Bill

post-210-143621563135_thumb.png

Ahhh...

Bill, yes this is a problem.  The generatoin 4 stuff (G4) is only able to work on Windows XP or later.  It will not work with Win 3.1, Win95, Win 98, Win 2K or Mellenium. 

There is no way around this unless you can borrow another laptop with XP or later, or although we do not support it, run up XP in VM ware as I have seen it working sufficiently, in fact with no problems. 

Please keep in mind the above statement however, 'we do not support the MAC or VM ware on a MAC as yet'.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jurgen

OK, thanks for the info. I got a Windows XP Pro (sp1) disk and installed it on my Macbook with VMware Fusion. It got closer to running, this time I got a 'procedure not found' error (I forget which procedure, eventsomething). After some research I found that this error is caused by setting a compiler switch to use a Windows library that is only available with service pack 2 or later. So I tracked down SP3 and installed that . . . and it worked! I'm in business now. The reason I mention the service pack issue is that it may be that setting your compiler to include all procedures rather than relying on Windows dlls might result in the firmware installer also running on Win 2K. Just a thought. Now the fun begins!!! Bill