G4 to Laptop USB Issues

Max Ward

Hey team,

Have been trying to access my PnP Link G4 V5-6 WRX ECU for about a day now. So i had PCLink 4.9.8 installed and all the drivers installed correctly then when i went to plug the G4 in I get:

USB Device not recognized

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

When i look at Device Manager i can see there is a little mark next to it and it says Unknown Device.

So talked to a few guys on ClubSubNZ forum and they reckoned that the ECU firmware was not matching PCLink so I have now just gone through the whole list of PCLink downloads and it is still doing the same thing? Every download i tried installed the drivers fine and i was removing them correctly after each install.

Checked the ECU, it has the COM cable plugged into the USB port.

I am starting to think it may be a problem with the cable or the USB chip.. or the previous tuner has gone and locked the ECU.

Note that i am doing this all from a workbench (Not connected to car power)

G4TB PCB Rev 1.2

Serial# 4395

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Max

It could be a driver issue or it could also be the USB chip has failed.

Try uninstall the device and then unplug and then reconnect.

It should come up as a link ECU USB and then assign a com port to it.

Have also tried that unfortunately

It says that it starts installing the driver then comes up with 

Device driver software was not installed.

Im assuming then that it is the USB chip that has failed? Do you know what price roughly i would be looking at to get the chip replaced?

Thanks 

Max

If the driver software is not installing then the PC link software will not be able to see the ECU.

If the ECU shows up in device manager but with a yellow ! it is a driver install issue.

If you are on windows 8 it could be worth trying the latest drivers that are in the G4+ version of PC link.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys I’m having the exact same problem i had my ECU mapped a few years back so iv downloaded an older version of the link software to make any changed but I’m getting the same issue as above in device manager.

With checking each terminal on ecu wire with a paper clip is it safe to do so? and is that just the lead terminals or the wire coming out of the ecu terminals?

Hi Yasir, 

You can use the paper clip to make sure that the metal terminal is sitting down fully in the plastic connector. Do this with the connector disconnected from the printed circuit board. If you have access to another laptop try installing PCLink on this and seeing if you can connect to the ECU. 

Which version of windows are you using?

hi Scott thanks for the reply i have a windows 7 64 bit laptop. iv tried the paper clip method without success. seems like the driver in installed but the driver is not digitally assigned as they are not authorised by windows here are a few pictures. and yes iv tried another laptop with the same OS.

iv not been able to attach any pictures as they seems to be a little to big ? how do i attach them? use a hosting website?

Hi Yasir, your problem is different to the problem of the orignal poster, as in device manager your ECU shows up as 'Link USB ECU'. The problem is occurring because the drivers are not digitally signed. 

The G4+ PCLink comes with a later version of the drivers that are signed, so if you install PCLink G4+ (current version is 5.5.7) and install the drivers as part of the process you should no longer have this problem. You will still use the PCLink for G4 to actually connect to the ECU.

http://www.linkecu.com/Software-and-Support/PC-Link-Downloads

Can you let me know if this works for you?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

new to the forum and new link user. i have g4 pnp r34 gts grey plug ecu. i purchased the car in bits and it came with it. my problem is code 43. what are the pin outs from the usb header on the mainboard? are all 5 pins used or only 4 to satisfy usb requirements? should i install drivers and software from the original g4 stuff? thanks any help would be appreciated. i cant even find out what my serial number is.

Mate. Ive tried all drivers and all pclinks. im only now just hearing that the USB chips are prne to fail on these units? is this correct and if so who do i send it to and what is the damage for the repair? provided its a manufacturer failure will link cover the cost for these g4's to  have a useable service life? really need to have it looked at as i do  not want to pay $80 for a 5 core cable thats only 200mm long.

sorry for that last post i think my frustrations with this thing came through a little there. 

Understandable to be frustrated. Lets go through how things should be:

1. Install PCLink V4.10.2 including drivers

2. install PCLink V5.6.1 including drivers

3. Make sure the ECU is powered up (green LED on top-board of ECU should be on)

4. Plug the tuning cable between the laptop and the white connector on the top-board of the ECU.

5. Start-up PCLink for G4 (V 4.10.2, red icon).

6. Press F3 to connect to the ECU.

How far do you get through this process before having a problem? If PCLink can not see the ECU, try clicking ECU Controls > Update firmware and see if the firmware updater can see the ECU. If the firmware updater can not see the ECU start up device manager and have a look at the ports section, what do you have showing?

If the usb chip on the ECU has failed it will need to come to us in Christchurch, New Zealand for repair.

Scott.

thanks for the speedy reply scott. i honestly expected at least a day for a reply. i have tried these steps, but as soon as i plug the usb in powered or not. the laptop says usb device unrecognised code 43 malfunction....

is the repair service something you offer to keep the service life of these pricey units at the very least reasonable? or is it something i need to pay for? cheers. a USB chip failure is a manufacturers fault is it not? wether covered by yourselves or the chip manufacturer themselves. it is still a manufacturer fault. are you able to tell me the pin assignments on the board as well as the ltw connector? are the connections crossed anywhere before reaching the PC usb slot? 

i have never dealt with LINK although i have always liked what the product offers. i use powerfc and datalogit. ecu master EMU, greddy stuff, mines sard ecu's and the old haltech e11's and from the years of abuse those units took. never once have i come across a usb chip failure on an otherwise new unit. driven for a couple of months before i bought it. been in storage for the last three years. ecu seems fine though. fuel pump primes and most things function. just some coils not firing and this unable to read ecu from PC is making me want to bin this unit. i have plans for carpc in gtr screen surround to run the link tables and gauges as the interface is really nice and intuitive. i hope i still can. thanks.

sweet. thats a massive relief. purchased new CUSB cable and arrived today. am i correct in assuming the CUSB is wired up as a host? as it detects the cable no problems but now says that it cannot detect the ecu. tried install and uninstall of all pclink version for g4 and new g4+ drivers.  still nothing.  at least i found out that the last tune was for 1000cc injectors. hence the no start. firmware updater cant detect ecu either. cheers.

also following the procedure outlined. i get through all that no prblems no errors come up. i got to device manager and COM port shows usb link no issues COM3.

i have not looked at the top of the board for the green light but assume it works as the fuel pump primes when ignition is switched on. 

Is the ECU's USB showing up in Device Manager with no errors?

Probably the only other thing (other than a failure) that could cause the firmware updater to not find the ECU is if there is something connected to the serial connection of the ECU. Do you have an aftermarket dash or anything connected?

Scott