Computer for ViPec tuning

Guest |260|

Guest |260|

Hey Guys,

I am a life long Mac user.

I admit to not knowing pretty much anything about Windoze machines at all (except they tried to copy a Mac OS)...

I am going to need to buy a cheap laptop for use with ViPec.

What am I looking for hardware and software wise?

I know there were many different versions of Windoze (95, NT, Vista), but dont know anything about their various ins and outs.

The only thing this computer will get used for is dealing with my Vipec(s).

Suggestions for finding / selecting the proper laptop and the best OS for ViPec use?

Thanks

jimmy p

Guest |129|

Basically any laptop that can easily run windows XP will work.

I've been using a bunch of different old Dell notebooks for tuning and all have been perfect so far all running XP SP3. All of them have at least 1gb of RAM installed, the models I've used on my Vipec are Latitude C610, Latitude D620, Precision M50 and an Inspiron Mini9

I'm going to buy one of the Dell Mini 9 or 10 notebooks shortly to leave in the car permanently. I'd prefer the Mini10 due to it's bigger keyboard and display but the SSD drive in the mini9 is better for the bumps etc experienced while driving.

If you go with Vista, you'll need a machine with a bit more grunt so the OS isn't too laggy.

Guest |260|

Ok, so Windows "XP" is the OS I want?

Any laptop than can run XP.

I will start looking for that.

I looked at the software page on this site, but it didnt give any "Hardware "requirements" for the software.

I will avoid Vista, as many Windows people I know all hate it, and most have had trouble with it, so I'm glad VIPEC doesn't require it.

Thanks

jimmy p

Guest |249|

im running windows vista business and havent had any problems whatsoever. i havent actually connected the vipec software up to my ECU yet as the new motor isnt in but generally its fine, all software these days are vista compatible and it ran fine when i was using the emanage ultimate tuning software.

for $1000 i bought a 13" notebook which i use full time, core 2 duo, 100gig hard drive, 2gig ram bla bla and its never skipped a beat. i also bought a 9" notebook which i keep in the car to do touch ups and which i will be keeping to do some data logging, i was using it to tune at one stage but it was really laggy which is why im only using it for data logging now.

Guest |118|

you could partition your hard drive on your mac and and run xp and leopard...

a good option for a cheap laptop is the "acer aspire one". it runs xp.. it can be found at office depot for $300

Guest rt1092

I'm using a 10" Asus Works great,has everything you will need (except a cd rom) and is light and easy to carry around. Plus it was $350 new in Best Buy.

Guest |260|

Thanks for the good suggestions guys.

I had no idea that Windows laptops were so cheap. I guess the one downside of being a Mac person, the price of admission...

Great suggestions on some $300 laptops, I then also then checked my local Craigs List and found numerous people selling various XP Pro laptops even down below $150!

I definitely do not want anything to do with putting any Windoze product into my Macs and running parallels or anything like that, so looks like there are lots of good options for a cheap "track laptop" to deal with the ViPec.

Thanks again

jimmy p

Guest |257|

I only whant to add that im using windows vista and it works like a charm!...

My laptop specs are Sempron runing at 1.8 Ghz and 2gb of ram its an Acer Aspire 3050..

I wish i could afford a mac.. but for now... im happy with my laptop!

Cheers..!

Guest Simon Willis

I am also a Mac fan and usually pull out my old 4 year Compaq craptop for Vipec duties. I recently purchased Parallels for my Mac which allows me to run Windows from inside MacOSX. Today I installed Vipec on it and it worked fine. See screenshot of Vipec and Mac windows on one machine :)

Very cool

Woohoo I can now throw out my compaq craptop :)