Wideband o2 for a link G4 storm

Chris Young

Hi,

I'm wanting a better way of keeping an eye on my o2 readings as well as running it through the link. What exactly do i need to do to get a wideband o2 sensor to run through the link in a closed-loop fuel control from the wideband signal? as i haven't purchased a wideband 02 sensor is there a link one or what would you recomend.

would also link any tips you could offer when going from open to closed loop with a wideband

i have an AE92 toyota rolla with a turbo 4age 1600cc in it. i just want it a little leaner off boost when i'm cruising on the hiway as well as a safer AFR under heavy boost.

Hi Chris,

We recommend the Innovate Motorsport LC1 Wideband Controller and Sensor package. This can be purchased from us directly if required. The LC1 has two configurable analogue outputs; one of these can be wired to an analogue input on the G4 ECU.

Once connected to the ECU via PCLink you will need to configure the calibration of the input voltage to read the correct AFR, the calibration is listed in the LC1 manual.

Closed loop lambda via wideband can be configured from the 'Closed Loop Lambda' menu inside the 'Fuel' menu. You have a number of lockouts and closed loop settings available to optimize the performance of the system. (see the help section within PCLink for further information on how these all work).

Once configured you can adjust the AFR target table. The numbers in here represent the AFR that the closed loop system will target.

The second main advantage of running a wideband sensor is to setup a Limit system based on AFR, this can be configured to protect the engine against a failing fuel pump. As an example you might require that the AFR stays richer than 12.2 at 100kPa of boost. If this threshold is exceeded for a defined amount of time, the ECU will bring on a rev limit to protect the motor from detonation due to lean mixtures.

Regards,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I'm installed the LC-1 and using it with my Link G4 Xtreme. I installed the LC-1 using the 2 ground leads and the signal link from the 4 wire plug supplied with my link. After setting up the proper voltage scaling....0v=7.35afr and 5v=22.39afr the Link does not register the same reading as the LC-1 does via logworks or the dash mounted gauge. I have tried several different grounding points but always the Link is about 1.0 afr richer than the gauge, so I'm thinking it is not a ground offset issue. Has anyone else experienced this or found a suitable solution?

I have the proper calibration data entered in to the table in the link. For grounds I am not sure where the ecu is grounded, so I grounded the LC-1 to the 2 ground leads from the 4wire wideband connector that comes off the link. I grounded the heater ground from the LC-1 to one of the wires and the controller ground to the other. Do you have any suggestions on where I could try grounding it besides this? Also I have the LC-1 digital gauge and that is grounded to the same source and reads identical to the LC-1, however the link seems to be reading about .5 afr off of everything else. Where should I ground it?

I had similar issues with the LC1 and ended up connecting it directly to the power and ground of the ECU... My sensor is located right after the turbo, I got fed up with the afr delay in the datalogs that would change depending on rpm. But it is a subaru with a long pre-turbo exhaust system which is more susceptible to such things

Hi,

To isolate the problem you can do the following. Hold the engine at idle with constant AFR, measure the output voltage of the LC1 respective to its ground. Measure the voltage at the ECU respective to its own ground. Compare these results, they should be very similar. The next thing to do its calculate the voltage you would expect coming out of the sensor at this AFR, compare results. From here you can do the same with what the ECU is expecting in terms of its own calibration.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Phil

I was the original sole Australian distributor for Innovate and literally sold hundreds of LM-1's and LC-1's and can personally tell you they are garbage, I got sick of customer support and needing to work around their glitches. Short story is if you use a proper AFR instrument (not a toy) then you will have NONE of the issues they crap on about! regardless of where you place the sensor and no magical 'lean misfire spikes' LOL........ I find it funny now, but was not so amusing when I had to deal with that crap every day. I use in my own car a Japanese NEKO Corporation AF700, it feeds into my G4 and also my BLitz boost control and all three give and log exactly the same figures, and my sensor is located right of the back of the turbo. The other instrument I use is an Autronic B model meter when doing back up checks or other cars, again never ever an issue. Both of these professional instruments use lab grade NTK sensors and not the hobby shack Bosch LSU. Little tip for the day. Video of Neko AF700 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvYkkS-07mc

I ground my LC1 installs to the engine block, they seem to read within .1 or .2 of an AFR compared to the lab grade sensors at the dyno I use.  The LC1 sensors get mounted in the dump pipe, the dyno sensor is in a clamp in the rear muffler after the cat.

Basic grounding and voltage differentials aside the biggest problem with Innovate Products is the way they read the LSU sensor and its temperature sensitivity. These items can be solved however it takes the manufacture of some special heat rejection devices (I will take photos and post it up) this will cure 99% of the heat problems if not all of them. I have tested it with thermocouples attached and the inlet gas is 1150degC with a constant flame shooting out the sensor and the body temp is only 300deg C (well below the 550deg C they start giving lean spikes at). The other thing these meters do is go pear shaped in the actual accuarcy of the reading a true rich mixture (10.0:1 AFR) after sustained high heat load and I have found them to vary up to 1.00 AFR point to others in back to back tests. Reading a calibrated lambda gas from a cold pressure bottle is not the same as actually reading one at 700 to 1000 deg C in an exhaust pipe from a working engine and its where these get let down, in some applications the only reliable place to fit an Innovate meter is right at the back of a car. When I set up my meters in my own case I do it the following way. 1. Use a tail pipe probe, block one end (screw your sensor into it) 2. Fill it with butane gas or similar (gas BBQ works) block the other end 3. Monitor what the output of the AFR instrument is saying and reconcile this output with the same from your Link G4 or any other displays or logging instruments 4. Do this from 10.0:1 AFR to 20.0:1 AFR range This method takes about 10 minutes or so as the gas slowly leaks out of the probe and you can monitor the values, write down voltages to AFR relationships etc etc. It is the only way to reliably do this process and be sure that all are in sync. I use this procedure for checking all instruments be they EGT probes or pressure sensors, the time invested in making sure what your ECU or other logger captures is indeed correct is well mandatory. You should never just go off a calibration sheet and assume its going to be right. If you cant trust the output value of the instrument itself get another reference item to check it against before you believe it as gosple.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Yes, add a new page to your layout, add a time plot and fuel table 1 to that page.  If you have your map and log open at the same time the pink cross hairs will show you where the engine was operating in the fuel table at that particular instant as you drag the cursor along the time plot.  If you drag it so that the crosshairs are relatively well centered on a cell , then you can click on that cell (to select it), then hit the "M" key on your keyboard.  This will open up the quick trim function, you just type in what the measured afr was at that point and hit ok, it will automatically adjust that cell in the fuel table.

Example below, if I clicked ok it would adjust the 2000RPM/-30Kpa cell to bring the AFR down from 15.2 to 14.7.

eOhgjUN.png

It sounds like you are talking about the mixture map function?  Back in the day when Link were selling the G4 ECU, the G4 was sold as the lower cost, more basic ecu, at the same time they offered the Vipec V series which was the higher spec ecu with some hardware differences, more advanced firmware features and more advanced software features.  The mixture map function was available in the Vipec software but not the Link software. 

You can use 3rd party software such as megalogviewerHD to do this.  Here is a video showing how it is done:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG_kY3K_2AE

Yes something like this as you mention (mixture map function)  but much more simple than the megalogviewer

So according to my understand there is no any way :( with PC link to have a table with AFR average value per fuel cell. Could be possible in later PC link version to add this function for link G4?