Knock control being disabled when uploading offline map

Josh Colombo

I've got an odd issue, which I'm not sure is a bug or is by design since I've not experienced it before.  I was making changes to a map file offline and then uploaded the map to the ECU.  After the map was uploaded I noticed the knock system was disabled/off.  I tried to turn it back on, but it would not let me.  The selection went right back to off.  The knock system was enabled and working before I uploaded the offline map.

Once I drove the car for a little bit and got it up to operating temp I was then able to turn on the knock system.  This ocurred this past weekend.  I am running ECU firmware & pc link version 4.8.5.  I have not tried to reproduce this issue yet, but will most likely be making some additional changes to the map offline and will see if I get the same behavior with the knock system being disabled.

Thanks
Josh

Well I tried uploading a modified offline map again and it still disabled the knock system.  The one thing to note though is that I upgraded the firmware to 4.8.81 and then uploaded a map that was modified when the ECU was running fw 4.8.5.   I'm not sure if that matters.  I can try saving the map now that the firmware is at 4.8.81, make a small change and then upload it to see if the problem is still there.

Ok, I tried making a small change to the map, (knock target values) and uploaded the map to the ECU.  The same problem occurred, the knock system was disabled, and I could not re-enable it.  I power cycled the ECU, and then was able to re-enable the knock system.

I've attached a copy of my map.

If you'd like any additional information, let me know.

Josh

Hi Josh,

I have loaded your basemap into a Linkplus G3 (with a G4 upgrade) to test. If I take your basemap and load it in into the ECU I get the problem you describe. I have found a work around that is working for me here. If you could try it and let me know if it works for you also that would be great.

Load your basemap into your ECU. Click yes to carrying out a store. Go to knock mode and confirm the fault is occurring. Press f4 to store the basemap again. Turn the power to the ECU off. Turn the power back on. Reconnect to the ECU with PCLink, the knock mode menu should now function correctly.

The problem is occurring because of a resource conflict with DI 5. So if the above fix does not work for you, try moving your 'Throttle Closed' from DI 5 to one of your spare DI channels. Also make sure you turn the DI 5 pullup off before switching DI 5 to off.

Look forward to hearing if this works for you.

Regards,

Scott.

Hi Josh,

The DI 5 pullup issue is something that has been on the plug-in and Storm ECU's since their design, and is documented in the PC Link help file. The reason you are seeing the issue on your ECU is because in the latest firmware there is a bug that is not recognising your ECU type correctly. We will endeavour to have this fixed.

Regards,

Scott.

• 2 years later...