Data logging

Matt Dunn

Hi there, Just wondering what is happening with the on board data logging on the LEM G3's? I noted it was to be enabled later on the spec sheet when I bought the ECU, But was wondering how much later later was going to be? I wont run my circuit car with a laptop in it whild racing, but would be good to be able to have a log of what going on at times? Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Ashley, I just wanted to add to Matt's concern re datalogging. I had wished to start my own thread but noted Matt has beat me to it. As you know I'm running an offroader that's simply unsuitable for a laptop or displaylink. As I can no longer serial datalog to one of my PDA's I'm rather stuck for a solution. I am in no doubt that datalogging is very important for any of us in motorsport. Its almost impossible to read gauges while concentrating on the course. Diagnosing a fault without a datalog is equally as impossible. Changing gearing (unless drastic changes), accelerator ramping, oil coolers and heat exchanger efficiency, basic fuel mapping (I've purchased an Innovate Wideband which becomes useless as soon as I can't datalog), detonation, the list of things impossible without datalogging goes on. And then there are the bastards like me who have a computing engineering background and just want to review the logs to ensure everything is running to spec. I'm sorry to add to the voice of concern, but it is one of the listed features that I purchased the G3Plus for.

It is quite high priority to get on board data logging running...  You can still datalog direct to your PDA if you want to write some basic software to do it.  The ECU has a user datastream that can be requested.  It would be up to you to request it and store it appropriately.  Anyways, we hope to get on board logging sorted in the near future...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ashley,

Just picked up on your comment above about data logging to a PDA.  Where can I get more information on this, I have the Dell Axim X51V, have a mate who is a programmer and might be able to put together some software, I would gather he is going to need information from you on what to do, etc etc ..... dont hold me to this, just trying to get the information before I approach him.

Can you give me any more info ??? or do you know of anyone who has already done a PDA app for the G3.

thanks

Graeme

Dont know of anybody who has actually done some software for a PDA.  They all talk about it and I ask for some screenshots but noone ever does it!  Anyways it is a very simple serial protocol.  You can hook up to the Dash connector and use RS232, or connect to the USB if you can get the correct virtual com port drivers for your PDA.  Contact me directly ([email protected]) regarding the serial protocol.

• 2 months later...

I thought most PDAs USB port is only set up to be a client, or have they got quite a bit flasher these days and able to act as a host?? If they are only a client, that makes it pretty much impossible and I doubt the Link is going to play host :) Blue tooth would be quite a neat function to add to the Link, has something like that been considered? If you are willing to share the serial protocol I would be very interested in having a look at it, and perhaps playing around with putting together a way of datalogging without having to lug around a laptop/something like that. My EMail address is lith at clear dot net dot nz. Cheers.

I would be surprised if you could get USB working on the PDA as I dont belive the USB drivers are designed to work on anything but Windows XP and Vista...  Why not just purchase a DisplayLink cable and use the ECU's RS232 serial port...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the release of the G4 ECU's, does that mean development has stopped on the G3's? or is the data logging still going to happen? And do the G4's have onboard logging and is is enabled from that start or will that be enabled later via an update?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...