Advancing Base Timing

Bruce1436215368

My setup has a reluctor(?) type trigger using a crank wheel with 5 teeth. The first is at TDC for #1 cylinder with the second about 5deg behind. The other three teeth are at roughly 90deg intervals. A sketch of the wheel is attached to an email I sent to the techsupport email address on the weekend. You might also be able to identify my unit configuration from the same email. I bought it from Link in ChCh in July 2005. I hope this helps Regards Bruce

Hi the guys at Link are not back untill next week the 14th I believe

so if you have sent emails to them then they wiil respond next week when they get back

Is your car a 5 cylinder  it sounds like you have a one tooth per tdc trigger setup and if this is the case then at cranking you will be limited to the base timing  (sensor location in relation to tdc)  you will need to take the lid of the ecu to see what type of subboard you have  and if it is setup for your current triggering

Regards Dave

[email protected]

Chances are you will need to modify your pickup if you want to advance your cranking timing.  You really want it to have about 10 degrees BTDC at crank for good starting.  some sub-boards had adjustment for this, but if you are running 1 tooth per TDC (5 teeth on a 5 cyl) then there will probably be no sub-board adjustment.