Using factory BMW engine speed/position sensors

Guest |291|

Guest |291|

I have a question about using factory flywheel triggers and sensors as inputs into a V44 or V88. The engine in question is a BMW 4 cylinder with 2 flywheel triggers. One is triggered at 1 pulse per revolution, the other is triggered at 116 pulses per revolution. The factory sensors are reluctor type and the stock ECU is a Bosch Motronic. The intent would be to have the system set up to perform direct spark/sequential injection.

1. Can the 116 pulse per revolution trigger and sensor be used to determine crankshaft speed?

2. Can the 1 pulse per revolution trigger and sensor be used as a sync signal to determine the engine’s position in the firing order? I saw information by someone that lead me to believe that it could, but I don’t really understand how.

If #2 above is not possible, and a dedicated cam trigger is required to perform direct spark/sequential injection, does the trigger point need to occur mechanically at TDC (using an adjustable mount to physically locate the sensor at TDC) or is there a software bias that allows the user to electronically adjust when the TDC signal actually occurs in relation to the trigger pulse?

Thanks for the help,

Wilfert

Guest |291|

So, there is no need to install a new sensor that triggers only once per 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation to run a direct spark/sequential injection setup? How does the ECU know when cyliner #1 is at TDC of its compression stroke? I understand how a single trigger signal per cycle works on a wasted spark/batch fired injection setup, but don't understand how the ECU can tell what part of the cycle the engine is in without a trigger that fires once for two rotations of the crank. I checked the users manual, but it says you need to have a single pulse per 720 degrees of crank rotation to run a direct spark/sequential injection setup.

Thanks again,

Wilfert

• 4 weeks later...
Guest |291|

Yes, this was in reference to the BMW S14. I do not currently have an ECU. My questions were to clarify things while I am doing research. I understand it can be done though, which will cut down on installation complexity.

Wilfert

Guest |216|
Yes, this was in reference to the BMW S14. I do not currently have an ECU. My questions were to clarify things while I am doing research. I understand it can be done though, which will cut down on installation complexity.

Wilfert

Ok. Thanks. Im planning the same thing myself so doing some research to.

Eivind