G3 Link Plus for Subaru EZ30R

Jason Gardner

Hello, I currently have a first gen Link Plus powering a US Spec Subaru EJ251. I recently acquired a JDM Spec Subaru EZ30R to take it's place. I am looking into a Standalone ECU solution for the new engine. I really liked the Link Plus and had learned a lot tuning with it. I just want to confirm if the wire-in Link Plus G3 would be my best solution for an EZ30R with all of it's stock sensors. It uses 6 individual coil packs and has Variable valve timing and variable valve lift. I saw there were a few technical documents on this site regarding some of the sensors the EZ30R uses.

We have run some EZ30 engines before, but there seems to be some variation on the triggering.  Could you please let me know a little more information on the location, type and number of teeth for each crank/cam position sensor...

Hello Ashley. I only checked the driver side cam pickup and it has three notches around it. Both cam sensors are in the top rear of each head. The Crank Sensor is also in the rear just between the block and the flywheel. The crank wheel seems to have 28 bumps around it with a flat spot on what looks to be just one side of it. The flat spot is about as wide as 4 trigger bumps. I broke my only torx socket worthy enough to get the flywheel off so the count on the crank pickup could be off. I will pick up another set of torx sockets tomorrow. Let me know if you need any more information.

OK, at the moment we do not have all the information for that motor.  I cant say that we can supply an ECU to run it.  I would need a fully degree'd out trigger pattern for the engine.  If we had that information I could determine if we already have the correct software otherwise we would most likely generate it...  VVT control will not be an issue, but like I said, a fully degreed out pattern with the position that pulses occur on all sensors will be required...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got to the crank trigger wheel and it is different than I said before. The crank trigger wheel has 3 flat spots and 30 teeth total. The cams have 3 notches which look to be evenly spaced around the cam. Here are some pictures. Not sure if it's useful, but the number 0607191763 was laser engraved on the back of the trigger wheel. Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

OK< I will go throught it today and check up on the triggering.  Just one other little question, sorry to keep making you pull parts off your motor, but does the left side head (viewed from drivers seat) have a hole for mounting a cam position sensor and does the inlet cam pulley have metal lugs for position sensing on it?  Some motors had the holes and lugs to fit the sensor there...

Ash ya munter thats only for the 4 ylinder engines

The EZ30r is the six cylinder variable valve timing and variable lift (vtec) subbie engine which is chain driven and fully sealded as lots of oil flys around in the front cover

Same engine that i have here in pieces for this toy that we are doing  

Yeah, yeah, I know what motor it is, just didn't know about that chain drive shit on the front, anyways, I am still trying to decide if we have everything we need to run the motor...  Either way, the DBW throttle body will have to go as we are not ready for that yet...  We are having a big trigger decoding and VVT mission at the moment, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem...

Ok Ashley. Let me know ASAP when you find out if you have a trigger program for the EZ30R, or when one will be available with this setup. I need to obtain an ECU solution for this engine within the next couple months. I'm located in texas, US and want to get this car running before the 100+ degree F days kick in... ]: )

We are going to do a trigger decoding and VVT control for this engine.  But before we can start we need a properly degree'd out pattern of all sensor teeth in relation to each other.  So the honest answer is no we cant do it right now, but we will in the very near future, probably within the next few weeks/months...

I am willing to help out with this. I'm just not 100% sure what kind of pattern you're asking for. My best guess would be like an electrical signal pattern from the crank/cam sensors over a 360 degree crank rotation? I also have the factory service repair manual for this engine with various info that may help.

Well, any info is useful info!  We have managed to get all the information that we need for crank/cam position sensors from the engine that Dave was rebuilding, so now it is just a matter of software writing and testing...  I will keep you posted on progress...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, we still don't have enough accurate information.  The diagrams may seem like they provide everything, but what we still don't have is a diagram that shows when each pulse on the crank and cam's occurs with respect to TDC when the cams are in there fully advanced and retarded positions.  This information is critical to write decoding software.  It is not the VVT control side of things that is an issue, but the relationship of crank signal pulses to cam pulses.  That is the information that Dave was going to obtain by fitting a degree wheel to the motor, winding it over by hand and writing down the exact engine position when each signal changes...

Until we have that information we cannot develop software.  The truth is I don't believe that we will have that information available, software written and testing completed within the next few months as we are very busy at the moment...  I'm sorry if this inconveniences you and I hate to say it but if you need an ECU ASAP then you may have to go to the competition (gulp!)...

• 2 weeks later...