Link G3 subaru RS Liberty wiring help

Shawn Ferguson

Hi there fellas, I have a g3 to install in my 92 RS Liberty, I have the adapter link and looms all is ready to be plugged in. Id like to know where I can find any info as to what I can delete from the engine wiring to tidy up the bay a bit and clear some room. What it needs and what it doesnt. This is my first aftermarket ecu so any advice would be great!

Shawn.

Hi Shawn,

Do you have the manual that comes with the ECU? If not it can be found here: http://www.linkecu.com/support/documentation/g2-g3-engine-management-documentation/Sub12Adapta

The last page details the list of wires required by the ECU. Other than those what you remove will depend on what you want to run or not.

If you have any more questions or need anything clarified ask away,

Scott.

Hi Shawn,

Yes, you can use the AFM wiring to run an IAT sensor, just make sure you have the jumper set to the correct position. Most people run a standard Bosch Negative Temperature Co-efficient IAT sensor. The one we sell is a Delphi unit and is available through your local Link dealer.

You will be unable to connect an EGT sensor to the ECU, as you do not have a spare An volt channel. However you could run a system which does not tie into the ECU.

Cheers,

Scott.

Hey Shawn,

I'm pretty sure your ECU will have an onboard MAP sensor, so you are probably best to use that. With your wastegate solenoid, they are generally pretty reliable, so try it out and watch its behaviour and replace if you see it misbehaving.

regards,

Scott.

Scott how many aux channels do I have at my disposal, i have to following gauges and sensors, I have a wideband 02, oil pressure, oil temp, and im buying an intake temp from a local supplier as per your earlier advice. ( i checked and all i have with the ecu is a coolant temp sensor). sorry if im being a pest this is all new to me so trying to play catch up with all the info.

Hi Shawn,

Unfortunately you do not have anything spare to utilize. The only spare channel is the An Temp 2 in the expansion connector, and that is only spare if you put your IAT sensor through your Air Flow meter wiring. The plugin computers are different from the wire-in computers in that they are designed to only use the sensors that came with the vehicle.

If you really want to add more sensors you could consider upgrading to something like the G4 storm :D

Scott.

Hi again Shawn,

Because you only have the one An temp channel spare, all the ECU is capable of running extra out of your list above is the Oil temperature sensor. The EGT can not be run through the An Temp channel as it outputs a 0 to 5 volt signal (unlike most temperature sensors).

Regards,

Scott.

Ok mate thank you for answering all my questions. The o2 shall be plugged into the original wiring as you have stated the g3 is configured to use all the standard sensors as the oem ecu. So that helps alot, everything that was on the engine shall be used as normal and ill just use the spare an temp for oil temp. The rest ill just use as independent gauges. Down the track i might invest in a better ecu, or the link dash unit if it compatible for my needs.

Ive been told I can still data log on this unit so that will be great.

Hey Shawn,

Sounds like you've been busy! Apparently the iacv on your car is a 3 wire soleniod. Aux 1 is used to open the solenoid and Aux 2 is used to close the solenoid. If you remove the valve you will have no idle control. I am not familiar with the actual solenoid, but is there a possibility you may be able to move the valve a short distance and use a hose to connect it to the manifold? If you could upload a photo of the iacv and how it attaches to the intake I may be able to give you some more ideas.

Scott.

Thanks scott, Ive been researching this today and doggin through my pc to find all the pics of cars ive seen with this done and ive come to the conclusion the easiest way to do this will be to leave the manifold in its place, but cutting the throttle body off the back side and welding it to the front side, blanking off the back, the iacv will stay in its location.

I dont have pictures to post up from this pc but shall do so when im home.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott, ive done a bit more to the vehicle, reverse manifold is complete, now that you have confirmed the link uses only 2 iacv wires. not 3 as standard. Im going to use a bigger throttle body with iacv on it not the standard unit. Gives me more room and less plumbing to re route. Ive had a look around the wreckers and it looks like I can use a falcon EF throttle body.

Hey Shawn,

Glad to here you're making good progress.

In the PCLink help there is a section on Idle speed control wiring. You can find it under Wiring information > Output wiring > Idle speed control. 

Looking at the info in there it seems you should be able to run a two or three terminal idle speed control valve. The difference being that the two terminal valve uses a spring to close it. Maybe someone who has done this will be able to comment.

Keep us updated,

Scott.

• 1 month later...

If you want to log EGT, here is a cheap Thermocouple amplifier

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=185&zenid=9b8f175f932589642651e0a1ef46f1d8

There is little benefit to a larger throttle body unless you're making huge power. 500bhp is easily achieved on the standard TB. TB.

If you wanted to use a 2001+ TB and ISCV it is a simple affair. It is 3 wire, but that's 12v, signal and ground. so only uses a single ecu output. Not 100% sure how easily it will bolt on, doubt it will be that difficult though. Ive used these on engines making 600+

Again, you simply do not need or want oversize throttle openings.

• 3 months later...

Hi there Steve, I've only just once again began work on this car. The reason for the throttle body swap is I've reversed the intake manifold and in doing so the standard tb would no longer fit without fouling on several other components. I've not enlarged it's by a great means so should be fine in that regards.