Initial startup problems

Guest |249|

Guest |249|

Ive just gotten my car back from the engine builder and im going through the process of doing the initial setup but ive come up to a few problems.

when i start up it etiher says:

Unable to connect to ECU. Please check that the ECU is properly connected, the power is turned on and the correct COM port has been selected.

or

It will look like its starting up and say Loading ECU data (or something like that).

The system voltage is less than 7v

Then immediately after:

ECU not responding.

I'm running Windows Vista Business, Ive tried running the vipec software in compatibility mode for windows xp. ive run out of ideas, can anyone help?

Guest |245|

Had the same problem on my s14 sr20det.

Thre things I tried:

- Additional ground to the engine

- Extra power cable from the battery in the boot, so that i had one cable from the battery to the starter and one from the battery to the fuse box.

- Take the starter apart, clean it and lube it up with new grease (was the solution to my problem, as the starter was really worn and had some sort of short circuit in it)

Guest |249|

i dont have any starting or charging issues mate. the car starts within 2-3 turns. the voltage was up around 12.2v when trying to start, is this not sufficient?

the car is an auto, i suspect the issue MAY have something to do with this:

TPS Idle Switch Powered From +5V. This is NOT an issue on manual transmission models. Some automatic transmission models require the TPS switch to be powered from 12V. This can be achieved by removing the wire from pin 57 (Idle Switch Power) and joining it to the wire from pin 59 (ECU Power).

I've connected the wire TO pin 57 to the wire coming FROM pin 59. or is it meant to go directly from pin 57 to pin 59?

i dont have any starting or charging issues mate. the car starts within 2-3 turns. the voltage was up around 12.2v when trying to start, is this not sufficient?

The ECU will work with 8 volts or more. If when you crank the engine and voltage spikes below 8 volts the ECU will reset and the software will go off line. The engine would then start as soon as the voltage was above the 8 volts, but it would be too late for the software as it is off line.

You mentioned the software reported an error that the voltage was less then 7 volts. This tells me you are getting this voltage drop.

If your voltage while cranking does not go this low, then I would recommend you use the Vipec serial cable rather then the USB cable. Serial uses a much bigger voltage range for communication compared to USB, and is far less prone to interference. If you PC does not have a serial port, then use a USB to serial adaptor with the Vipec serial cable. The best USB to serial adaptor is the ATEN brand.

It is possible to make your USB cable into serial by cutting off the USB plug and adding a 9 pin connector. If you email me I will send instructions on modifying the cable.

[email protected]

Ray.

Guest |249|

I didnt get a chance to crank it at all, this is in the initial startup, the ECU wont stay on for it to connect. the entire time i was trying to get the ECU to connect my voltage didnt drop below 12.1v.

whats the point of going from serial to usb, wont i have the same issue again?

what is the next step if the serial adapter doesnt work?

Could it be insufficient current being supplied to the ECU during cranking? I had a similar problem with an AFR meter that I was testing. I had hooked the power supply to a battery charger (12VDC) no problems but there was not enough current and so it would not start. Hooked the supply to the battery 12VDC and plenty of current and everything was fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest |249|

the boys from Insight Motorsports gave me a temporary fix to get it running till my new board arrives.

FYI - the auto shifts work fine with the vipec v44 plugin on the r33 gtst. i did some 1st, 2nd, 3rd changes @ 2500ish RPM and it seemed OK.