M50 rpm problem

Omar Allaga

Hi All

I am installing a Link Extreme on my E36 with M52 single vanos, I have connected the original trigger sensors and didn't get RPM

Data log shows Trig 1 & 2 signals stay on the NO reading,

tried to connect an M50 VR crank sensor and get data log reads Yes in the Trig1 signal but still no RPM reading

any advice how to fix the problem either using original sensor or M50 sensor,

and what why Trig signal is Yes on the data log but no RPM is it Arming threshold related problem

Hi Dave

Actually I don't have oscilloscope so I have tried using a digital. Multimeter that shows a reading of around 0.5 volt maximum

I think it couldn't be measured with the DMM but just trying to be sure that sensor is working

I will try the Scope TTrigger Today, should it be a wave reading or what? 

I have tried with noth filter and arming but no success

Hi OMAR,

If you go to the tabs at the top of the screen and open the ECU CONTROLS tab, the last option at the bottom of the screen is TRIGGER SCOPE,

Your TRIGGER 1 is VR so you will see a sine wave.

Is your TRIGGER 2 a VR sensor 2 wires or 3 wire HALL EFFECT.

If trigger 2 is 3 wire HALL EFFECT, make sure it is set up correctly.

If it is HALL EFFECT it will produce a square wave signal.

Regards

Dave.

Do you still have a trigger 2 input? Or is this not connected.

If it is not being used you need to set trigger two sync mode to none before you will see an RPM reading.

If the ECU is expecting a sync it will need to see one before it shows an RPM

Thanks for the advice Simon

I have fixed the problem by replacing cam position sensor but I am having an erratic RPM reading as it's jumping to a very high numbers while cranking, I have tried Trigger Arming threshold, ground connections but still have,

trigger scope is showing a maximum of 0.66V as per attached photo but still RPM is very erratic

Hi Dave

I have used the Arming threshold coming with Link software for E36 plug in ECU, and I have tried to change the numbers based on the attached scope I got while cranking as all it happens while cranking I don't want to start my engine with any trigger errors, and I am using the level 1 filter ( Tried to raise it to the level 3 for trigger one but didn't have any affect on RPM count)

attached is the scope I got and my trigger settings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I have had a quick look at your attached PCL file.

You have 4 errors at present, unless you have fixed them since posting this.

The main one that will give issues is the MAP sensor in error at 0 volts.

As you are using MAP as your Main Load Source, this must be fixed.

Once the MAP sensor error is fixed you must make sure you calibrate the MAP sensor.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Omar,

are you using the factory coils.

Are the plugs wet or heavily carbon fouled.

The dwell table values may need to be made higher for your coils, however I advise against touching the dwell table, you must test that the coils have a good 12 volt supply to them while cranking the engine.

Regards

Dave.

Hey David

Actually plugs are wet

I have boosted power so while cracking it's still around 12

And now i am trying hard to find the appropriate numbers to start the engine as it's reaching around 500 rpm

For less than second then back to cranking.

I have noticed also that when jump to start injector PW also jumps

Hi,

the injector pulse width will change due to the dead time table values,

What fuel master value are you using, make sure you do not pump the throttle when cranking, I see this a lot.

Don't bother trying to dry the plugs, put in a fresh set gapped at 0.32" or 0.8 mm.

Set the fuel master to say 5, have master trim at 0%.

Crank the engine with the throttle at roughly 5 % open (locked), do not move it from that position while cranking.

Adjust the fuel master up in small increments until the engine fires.

Once the engine has fired , warm it up but adjust the master to the desired AFR  you wish to idle at, you may need to adjust the throttle blade or idle speed control at this point for the engine to have the desired idle speed to run happy.

You need to at this point go back and recheck your ignition timing, the value may need to be altered slightly to correct any offset when the engine is running, then set the ignition delay, change this value until the timing does not move when you rev the engine with the ignition lock on.

For future reference the Trigger Scope function is at the bottom of the  ECU CONTROLS Tab.

Any more issues please post your PCL file.

Regards

Dave.

Thanks for the detailed reply Dave

actually I have did some of the mentioned points, but will try the nice idea for choosing master fuel trim,

but also need to check with you about optimal fuel timing and could it affect the crancking?

anyway attached is my current PCL file

thanks

Omar