Re: "CAR WONT START "

Mid Karangaroa

I have a V5 98 wrx STI it has a LinkPlus G2 ECU! I've had now for 6-7 years it was dynod when i brought it (I dnt no where the sheets r now) has been running good til now. Must mention though that i changed the head gaskets not that that matters. The only thing I really no is it was boosting 20psi the problem began when i loaned the car to my son and he rang to tell me it wuldnt start and this was about a month ago ive gone through wiring relay fuel pump solornoids with my multi meter to check the system to see if the systems are working and everything is pointed to the link but when i checked fuel pressure there was none so i pulled the laptop out hooked it to pc link cord took one look at what was on the computer and couldnt understand it so turned it off and put it away.   We live rurally in nz and don't have access to a dyno or expert tuning advice/help nearest one is 5hrs away not to metion the cost of towing my vehicle  there, getting it tuned again then to turn around and travel back  home.  My son who works for Cummins in WA asked me if I could get it remotly tuned???????? I wouldnt have a clue what that is I told him. He said thats what he does to their road trains.   Is there anyone out there that can help me with this tuner remote thing or if it even works on a link ecu.  If not I will have to replace the link ecu with factory ecu to illiminate the problem and leave the link for another day.

Viv

I would be getting the laptop connected to the ECU and cranking the engine over.

We need to see if there is any engine RPM while cranking.

I suspect the cam might have jumped a tooth or two which would cause the ECU to not pick up RPM.

This could cause the fuel pump to not start.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am currently in the process of reinstalling the link ecu. My first job was trying to work out how it has been wired and where the wires went to! The Link-Plus header pinout gave me some idea of  how the fuel and ignition has been wired. My problem I now have is calculating the firing sequence. The concept of this being a shuffle of the firing order with the first cylinder after synchronization signal(on compression stroke) to arrive at tdc is cylinder 1. I'm a bit unsure of how/when the sync signal is calculated on my ignition. One way I think I could work it out would be how it's wired to the ecu????  This is how its wired : cylinders #1 & #2 are wired to ignition 1, pin 11 , cylinders #3 & #4  are wired to ignition 2, pin 24. Would I be correct in assuming that the synchronization signal is cylinder 1????  I am trying to find another example that would help me understand how to determine where it is I'm supposed find where the sync signal actually is!  I am not going to try start the car with the laptop connected until I can get a general idea of how this ecu works and secondly how to make it work. This is mainly due to having no knowledge at all with this ecu or the programs needed to make it work. The problem I had was its been easier to get someone else to tune the ecu for me but not knowing what it was they actually did????? Because I couldnt get the car started and where we live I am now haveing to self teach myself something I know little about. I could just put the factory ecu back in and drive it to someone who does know but I will ,knowing my luck with this car/ecu end up back here where I am now....... soooo I'm going to give it a go!

Thanks VIV