VVTL-i support on the new links?

Dave

Hi there,
I have an oddity of a car, it's a 2001 Toyota Corolla RunX, which seems to be essencially a corolla chassis with Celica(the new 1.8L one) running gear.

I'm after an after market EMS and thought I'd find out if Link had something suitable. I had a look through some of the supported models, but couldn't find anything Toyota thats newish.

The engine is the 2ZZ-GE, it has continuously variable valve timing on the intake side, and on the exhaust side it is oil pressure and rev based, as in, only once it has enough oil pressure, and you hit 6000RPM it "turns on" the second cam.

see here for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine#2ZZ-GE

If you require any other info to know if it can do it, just ask, I have about a million places to get info about them.

The LinkPlus G3 which is in stock but will not be released for about six weeks has four channel PID CVVT control.  This has been used to control subaru cams to within 0.1 degree accuracy with super quick response.  Switching the exhaust cam is no problem we have that covered already.  However we would need to know more about the engines crank angle sensor arrangement and cam position sesnor...

Most toyota's use a Crank position sensor and a Cam position sensor on the variable cam.  The cam positions sensors effective position moves relative to the crank with cam advance position...  But yeah, we would need some more information on this setup...

OK, I had a better read of that web page... Yeah, that motor just requires switched cam control.  Probably best use an LEM G3 or a LinkPlus G2 if the budget allows (biggest gain for you will be better economy and transitions from sequential injection).  All that is needed is some detials about the triggering arrangement on the engine.  In particular the number of teeth on the cam and crank sensors, their spacing and the sensor type...

• 6 months later...

massive delay in replying... but this is about all I've been able to find that seem mostly relevant.

"Crankshaft position sensor (NE signal) consists of a magnet, iron core and pick up coil.

The NE signal plate (crank angle sensor plate) has 34 teeth and is mounted on the crankshaft. The NE signal

sensor generates 34 signals at every engine revolution. The ECM detects the standard crankshaft angle

based on the G signal, the actual crankshaft angle and the engine speed by the NE signal"

Well, in the meanwhile we have developed heaps of VVT control setups and tested on heaps of Toyota engines.  Sounds to me like your engine has the same setup as a 3S-GE.  That has 36-1 on the crank and 4-1 on each cam.  We tested on an Altezza and all worked perfectly.  I have not done wiring diagrams for it yet but can provide information on how to wire the ECU and the base setup we used on the Altezza for the VVT control...

• 6 months later...

To be honest I don't have alot of info on general wiring for that engine.  I can tell you where to wire the sensors to if that helps:

1. Trig1 - CAS Reluctor (make sure you have the correct polarity)
  2. Trig 2 - Inlet cam sensor
  3. Digital Input - Exhaust cam position sensor - By convention we use DI 3 but it could be any DI
  4. Inlet cam solenoid - Aux Channel (By convention Aux 1)
  5. Exhaust cam solenoid - Aux channel (by convention Aux 3)
The rest of the install is covered in the wiring and installation manual.  I know you can find pinout info on the web.