Battle Version SC300, 2JZ, V88, Drift Machine

Guest |330|

Guest |330|

New to the forum and will be using the V88. Time to catch you guys up on the build.

011small.jpg

012small.jpg

015small.jpg

016small.jpg

Today's work,

Started this way, one main hoop and one A pillar bar fitted.

003small.jpg

Yes its that close

002small.jpg

Added other side then the top bar

005small.jpg

Then made some braces

006small.jpg

And tacked them in

007small.jpg

Then some for the front

008small.jpg

Then welded the bottoms

013small.jpg

Made some holes to drop the cage down under the base plates to weld the top sections in,

after the bottoms, pulled the base plates out and dropped the cage down to weld the tops.

011small~0.jpg

009small.jpg

Here's the finished front section

Yes that small black line inbetween the cage and the body is the gap.

014small.jpg

015small~0.jpg

Random stuff,

Subframes before,

016small~0.jpg

017small.jpg

Headlights,

018small.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest |330|

Added the rear bars,

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2608-004small.jpg

Goes into the rear, trying to tie as much of the frame rails as possible

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2609-005small.jpg

Then made some cool under fender tie ins

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2610-018small.jpg

They go from the front legs of the cage to the under area of the shock towers

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2611-019small2.jpg

Guest |330|

Welded in the main 6 point

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2665-007s.jpg

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2664-003s.jpg

Then put the car on the rack, drained the gas tank, took out the brake lines and fuel lines, took out the gas tank, and getting it ready to send to the media blasters. Think I found a place to powder coat the chassis.

Guest |330|

Since the inside is getting coated, I needed to fill in the sunroof hole. Started off with some cold roll and cut it out to just a touch larger.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2807-004s.jpg

Then rolled it a few times to get some shape

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2808-005s.jpg

Used as many magnets in the shop I could find and got the final fitment.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2809-006s.jpg

Then welded in

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2810-007s.jpg

After all that, Got to taking off the rest of the parts like the windows and doors and such. Called up the media blasters and put the car on the back of a trailer. Here's what it looked like on its way out.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2811-009s.jpg

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2812-013s.jpg

And the phone number is anyone needs it.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2813-015s.jpg

Should be there for a couple days. I got started on cleaning the suspension and subframes. Going to the machinist on sat to make some new parts. I'll get some after shots when the car comes back.

Guest |330|

Got the car back from the blasters and dropped it off at a freinds shop. I was too busy to even think about taking pics but the inside is nice and clean. The undercoat is still there. Thinking about just using rustoleum on the bottom of the car just to save time. I dont think people care really what the underneath of a car looks like.

Saturday and my machinist helped me out alot. We took all day but got all the delrin bushings fitted and made. I couldnt ask for a better job as these things fit so nice. Time for some pics,

Here is Kevin trying to run from the camera...

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2874-009s.jpg

Just one of many rows of machines

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2873-007s.jpg

Some delrin getting turned

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2876-012s.jpg

What they looked like after

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2877-013s.jpg

Even made some rack bushing replacements

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2878-014s.jpg

I'll take some pics of the stuff installed when I put it all together. We didnt have enough material to make an extra set so I left one side with him to get pricing for more kits.

Guest |330|

Picked it up, And there was sand in every hole and crevis. Next time I'm just going to have the car dipped. It costs more but at least it's alot less work to do to prep the chassis. So far I've wasted a few days cleaning things where it would have been done already if it was just dipped. Now I'm worried that the sand would come out when it gets coated and mess things up. O well, here is what it looks like.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2920-002s.jpg

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2919-001s.jpg

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2921-003s.jpg

Guest |330|

O well, next update. Started off the day cleaning of coarse. Then moved onto to some dimple die plates.

Started off with some generic cut outs and trimed to fit.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2952-002s.jpg

Then cut some holes where I wanted the dimples and cleaned the holes and the metal.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2953-003s.jpg

Then some dimples, yes I was cheep when I bought my set. I should of gotten the ones that cut the holes and dimple at the same time.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2954-004s.jpg

Then installed, well welded in.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2955-005s.jpg

And the far view.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2956-007s.jpg

Then got back to some of the other things on the cage. I ordered some 1 1/2 x .083 wall to do the rear braces, but they hopefully will be here tomaro. So I used some 1 1/4 x .083 wall and made some braces for the fender braces. Yes braces on braces, the more bars, well not always better but always heavier. I did need to triangulate those things for some strength.

Didnt weld them in yet cause I now have a new rule, no welding once the sun goes down. For some reason, maybe its my eye sight, but it just doesnt come out as good.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture2957-010s.jpg

Guest |330|

So no tubing showed up this morning, had to find something else to do. Hey, I need to block off the rear deck and the firewall. Damn rulebook.

Start with a peice of metal. This time aluminum. I love this little cutter.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3026-001s.jpg

Made a couple of them then just copied it over to the peice.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3024-003s.jpg

Then cut some out for the firewall. A couple clinko's to holed them in.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3028-005s.jpg

Then time to install. Used just some regular high temp silicon, then added some weights to hold them in place.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3030-008s.jpg

Then for the fronts, used some Devcon, which is like jb weld, just 100 times stronger.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3031-009s.jpg

Heres the installed pics. Figured if they are installed now, then they will be coated the same color.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3029-007s.jpg

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3032-010s.jpg

Then since I was at the back of the car, I also wanted to make a jacking point cause I know this thing will be too low for me to get a jack under it and lift it up. Originally the design would have been some steel tubing and connected to the rear frame rails, but looking at the rear bumper reinforment gave me an idea. Why add more tubes to this thing when that original aluminum peice is pretty strong already. So there was this aluminum jack that was broken, took the handle off it and cut about 7 inches off, and fired up the tig. This is after welding.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3033-011s.jpg

And it back installed on the chassis. battlever-albums-stuff-picture3034-012s.jpg

It will probably get trimed once the body kit gets on. Idealy would be just under the kit.

Guest |330|

Started off the day trying to get the rest of the sand out.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3153-007s.jpg

Then weld in the lower x and the rear brace.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3154-005s.jpg

Then added cross brace and harness bars.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3155-009s.jpg

Started on door bars.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3156-012s.jpg

And the final X's.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3157-014s.jpg

Trying to get this thing to the coaters by the begining of next week. Still have a few more small things to add to the cage and then final clean up. Going to be in the shop tomarro and hopefully sunday as well.

Guest |330|

I cannot express how happy I was to get the chassis back today. The pictures just dont do it justice as to how nice of a job they did. If you ever need wheels, parts, anything powdercoated in the orange area, even if your inland or la, go to these guys. Best work and best price hands down. O and they have a 25 foot oven for things like cars?

001s.jpg

Here is the proof, and you have to see it in person to really get the feel of it. 2 stages, base was a metalic silver, then a red candy over it. I almost went with a blue color but I'm really happy with the red.

002s~0.jpg

005s.jpg

008s.jpg

015s.jpg

I mean it even powdercoated under the car, I really wish I spent a day wire wheeling the damn undercoat off. O well, next time and every time after this, acid dip then add cage, then add powdercoat. Can you belive this costed less then half of what I was quoted for paint?

Edit, If I see another car with the same color done at the same place, I will key your shit!!! THey have lots of custom colors so pick your own.

Guest |330|

So saturday, went to hin with the hot rod. I didnt win that autobarrel race unfortunatly, the car started acting up. The trans wouldnt stay in gear so I would have to hold it with one hand and try to drive with the other. Then it was making some bad noises in the rear end. After that all went down, some friends of mine were doing the drift demo on the other side. Someone said "hey, why dont you bring the hot rod over." So I asked if we could and yeah, brought it over to the other side of the show. Grabbed my helmit out of the truck, barrow a set of tires from John off his corolla, and went in the last demo of the night. Made just a few laps before the rear end finally let go, just pulled it in and parked it at that point.

Sunday, back to work on the car. Went into the machine shop cause its the only time we can really play and test fit new parts. Finished up making the subframe spacers to eliminate the stock bushings.

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3420-002s.jpg

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3421-004s.jpg

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3422-005s.jpg

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3423-006s.jpg

battlever-albums-stuff-picture3424-007s.jpg

Guest |330|

Good news, Picked up a sponsor for cooling products. Maybe you heard of them, logo.gif

More pictures of the products once they are in and being installed.

For now, had to start making this car a roller so I can drop it off at the body shop. Started on the upper control arms and removed the stock bushings.

001s~0.jpg

Then cleaned out the left over rubber. The front upper is on the right, the rear upper is on the left. On the rears, they have a metal insert and with the new bushing kit, I just left those in there instead of taking them out.

003s.jpg

Then installed the delrin bushings we made a couple weeks ago.

004s.jpg

Then pulled out the front subframe and bolted it to the car.

005s~0.jpg

Added the delrin rack bushings and bolted that on.

007s.jpg

Battle Version rear traction links and rear toe links.

006s.jpg

Then put the rear subframe together.

009s.jpg

010s.jpg

Its really hard trying to get work done and worrying about trying to get the parts you need to continue working on the car. I spend so much time on the phone and internet inbetween all the installs that I'm really supprised that I can get work done. Today also tore the motor apart but going to save you from motor pics. So many on the forums that I'll wait till its getting ready to be put in.

Guest |330|

Picked up another sponsor, Rotora. Too bad thier web site is down. Said it was getting moved or something.

6 hours later and finally the body kit still doesnt fit right but at least its decent from 30ft away.

002s~1.jpg

Thats what I get for buying a $200 body kit. What a waste of time. I did drop off the motor at speed o motive. And the rear end got dropped off at Kaaz.

Still need a better clutch pedal, wheel sponsor, and a turbo.

Guest |330|

Good news, new sponsors,

logo_small.gif

And

cp_logo_mod.gif

They are sending the BC 3.4 stroker kit with 9.0 compression pistons, 272 cams, titanium retainers, and single style valve springs. We will also be going a DVD with Drifting.com for the motor build.

Also when I got home, was happy to find my cat ontop of this

002s.jpg

And this thing is cool, rad cap with temp guage built in.

004s.jpg

Guest |330|

Got a couple new sponsors,

http://www.aitracing.com, they saw the body kit and said they had something better. Unfortunatly they are out of front bumpers but will have one in a couple weeks. In the mean time the old bumper will be getting painted.

http://www.knwautobody.com/ will be doing the body work. Great guys and they are used to dealing with aftermarket cars. At least half the cars in there today where getting kits fitted and molded. If your looking for someone in the 909, hit these guys up.

I'm leaving for hawaii tomarro (family stuff) which kinda works out I guess. The chassis is over at knwautobody and they will need it for some time. Then the BC stroker showed up at speed o motive this morning. They will need some time to get that together too. Which leaves me a week with nothing to do but hang out with old friends and the family. I'm glad to take a break from this car which has taken up all my time. Just when I get back, its full tilt till the end. I'm still in need of some parts which I hope to have ordered and on its way to the shop by the time I get back.

Guest |330|

I've been building crazy cars for years and trust me, they may help you out with parts but its still not cheep by any means.

Well today was april 1st and I dont know if it was a joke or not, but talked to Ray over at Kaaz to go pick up the diff and he said he did something special to it. So my impression was he shimmed the diff some special way to make it better then normal or something. Well when I got down to Kaaz, this is what I found.

032s.jpg

Also Speed O Motive called, said the valve guides where no good and we needed replacements, which kinda sucks cause we are supposed to be shooting the DVD with drifting.com tomarro. Well they found some on short notice unfortunatly cause now I have to wake up in a few hours to start on that.

Kenny over at K&W autobody calls me and said "I need parts", well I've been talking to Seibon for a while and they never came to a hard decision but they finally gave in a bit and helped us out. Ring the bell, we have a new sponsor, not full but at least I got the parts needed to keep this thing going.

035s.jpg

Thank god someone in the USA makes doors for this car. Not cheep by any means but at least its there.

036s.jpg

039s.jpg

Then also got the TSII hood and the oem trunk

041s.jpg

040s.jpg

I'm running out of time fast. Start building the motor in a few hours.

Guest |330|

Got like 3 hours of sleep then off to the motor shop. Speed O Motive, Remeber the name when you want something done right. Brian Crower got sent the parts directly and they went over all the parts, bored the block, ballanced the crank(must say it was just about perfect from the box), weighed and matched the rods and pistons, checked the line bore with the new arp hardware, pulled the head apart, found that the valve guides were bad and we needed to do the filming for the DVD with drifting.com today so they over nighted some in, painted the block and had it all set up for us this morning at 8am. You will beable to purchase the DVD of the engine build soon on drifting.com. Here are some quick pics, Alex from drifting.com and Bill Shoemaker, great head builder.

042s.jpg

043s.jpg

044s.jpg

Well, bad news, I'm still missing some important parts to get the motor together in time (main bearings) and some odds and ends. So instead of splitting my attention between things, I just have time to worry about getting the chassis together for long beach. The count down begins today and think I've found some new sponsors, Mackin Industries for some cool Rays Wheels and Cooper for some tires.

Guest |330|

Rays Wheels came threw. Got down there today and they had a stack waiting for me. They are used (off last years apex car) no complaints from me as you cant get anything better then inches of deep polished lips. They're the GT-F line and are 18x9 and 18x10 +1 offset. We are thinking about having the centers powdercoated to match. We will see how they look once the car is out of paint. That brings up another topic, Tribal red candy Flames? Paint sponsor is coming up with ideas.

001s~1.jpg

003s~0.jpg

002s~2.jpg

Yeah, I have 8 of them which is a big help when you need to switch out tires fast. Thank You Rays!!!

Guest |330|

Some of you may know but House of Colors is helping with the paint for the car. This is why its been a while since the car has been at the body shop. They are working on something that should be interesting for the car.

After the post a few weeks back of the parts that I still needed, One of the members of club4ag emailed me saying he was going to build an sc300 and pick up a few things but never got around to using them. An intake and exhaust manifold. And if I needed them, he would trade for advertising space on the car, AOBA Japanese Thai Restaurant. check out http://www.aobajapaneserestaurant.com/ and http://indrarestaurant.com "original thai cuisine since 1975" in Glendale. I got lost and hit the wrong freeway going to pick up the stuff. Thank You Jimmy!!

002s~3.jpg

Then I just wanted to show you guys the coil overs for this car. RSR I-Shocks, titanium springs, aluminum housings, 2 way adjustable. Right now its 16kg and 16kg. Probably not going to run a rear sway bar so this should be cool. I may end up dropping the rear spring rate down a bit but need to test them first.

004s~1.jpg

Guest |330|

Didnt do much on the car. Just cleaned up some parts I know are going on there. Took the old tint off the rear windows and got those ready to go back on. I did pick up some seats last night to replace the ones without the FIA rating on them.

001s.jpg

Guest |330|

picked up the car today, Unfortunatly it needs to go back in about a week for the graphics. The house of kolor guy couldnt make it in time to do the work and he is off next week. So for not I just picked up the chassis and going to start working on that. Here some pics from the so far finished paint. Its water base and it hasnt been buffed or anything.

002s_002.jpg

004s_001.jpg

005s_001.jpg

Guest |330|

Worked on the fuel cell. Its the summit 15 gal. Most of the cars in FD are running 5 gal cells but I hate having to put gas after 5 laps, and want to run some time attack. Figured 15 gal would be better for me. Had to do a bunch of work to it. Took all the foam out. Then cut one of the fittings off and made it a -10 now. Then had to make some much stronger mounting brackets and welded those on.

001s_002.jpg

Guest |330|

Starting to put things back in the car. Took the electricals off the steering shaft but think I may put it back and actually use the switches for the wipers and headlights, not sure if it would work out or be more of a headache. Then worked on the pedals. I'll be the first to admit sometimes I'll do things on the cheep when it comes to my own car. Instead of getting the factory clutch pedal and master, just took one out of a 180 clip that we were throwing away. The way I look at it, I just saved $300 but now the pedal is like an inch short. If it sucks then I'll change it later.

001s_003.jpg

Dont know if I should cut the auto pedal or just leave it. You can see the 180 clutch pedal is shorter.

002s_003.jpg

Then dropped the rear end down and put the stock rear brake lines back in. Still need the tubing to connect everything up to the master. Going to make new lines in the front and hopefully have that stuff soon along with the brakes from Rotora. First time you get a look at the bottom, as you can see its entirely powdercoated but over the undercoating. At least I know it wont rust but wish this thing was lighter.

003s_002.jpg

004s_002.jpg

Put in the axles, torqued them down, and tightened up all the rear suspension after that.