Battle Version SC300, 2JZ, V88, Drift Machine

Guest |330|

Guest |330|

Picked up some tubing this morning and got to work again. Made the intake pipes and had the windows put back in. The windshield was cracked before we took it out so needed a new one.

001_001.JPG

Then got to work on the hot side. Starts off as 2.75" and switches by the sway bar to 3" and goes into the intercooler.

003_001.JPG

002_001.JPG

Comes out the intercooler as 3.5" and then goes to 4" at the TB.

005.JPG

004.JPG

And from my friends at club4ag...

bvsc300.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest |330|

Mounted up the oil cooler and adaptor. Originally it had some small pipe thread on the adaptor but welded on some -12 fittings since the oil cooler has -12's on it.

002_002.JPG

001_002.JPG

Guest |330|

Going to take the car to Spocom this weekend, so started putting a bunch of the small stuff in. The car wont be running of coarse, still too much to get done, so its more important to get the car looking good right now. Did alot today, like finished off the fuel lines, got all the vacume ports in, started running some of the other lines, all while Naoki from Drift Day was working on graphics. Sneak peak time.

003_002.JPG

004_001.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Guest |330|

Im sorry to everyone that has been following this thread. Not because of the flames, but because I havent really kept up with the updates laitly. Well most of the last couple weeks have been spent on wireing which doesnt include many pics. I did get the exhaust done over the weekend which was one of the last big things missing on this project. Its 98% ready to fire up, still needs some wireing and things like breathers for the valve covers.

Picked up some injectors, thanks to Bob over at Drift Office, he ordered some out of his own pocket and didnt allow me to pay for them. Picked up new connectors and had to reuse alot of the pins off the stock harness. What took alot of my time was taking out and reusing so many of the connectors to make the harnesses. To be honest, I just suck at wireing. I can make it work but I'm really not that good at sitting there soldering and heat shrinking so many things. Here's some pics of the progress.

Got me a tial V44, cut off the original 4 bolt flange and welded on the vband. Fits so nice.

002s_008.jpg

Starting on the down pipe. Goes from 3.5" to 4"

014s.jpg

Not a real fan of the cut and weld method but didnt really have much of a choice with how tight the radius needed to be. I feel so JDM for some reason. Splits from 4" to twin 3" next to the gate. Yeah its a tight fit.

005s_003.jpg

Megan racing is up the street from us, and I usually help them out with setting up thier team cars, they help me out when I need stuff. So I went threw thier pile of damaged exhausts and basicly grabbed anything in 3". It took about 12 of thier exhausts to cut appart to make the twin pipes running under my car. I know its not pretty but at least its free.

008s_003.jpg

I hate wires.

015s_003.jpg

More hate on wires. Didnt even take a pic of the finished product.

019s.jpg

There is something else that has come up this week. One of the FD teams was looking for a driver and asked if I wanted to come out today for testing (july 5th) at Drift Day and I agreed. Tanaka racing (http://site.tanakaracing.net/Home_Page.html) has a blown 427 with about 700hp and 750 torque vette, how could you not want to. A few of my friends were out there as well and I must say, its nice to have that much power. You really dont need to push the gas more then half way at any time, the 295 nitto's are just spinning. At first we did some open area drifts and the car was nice. Really predictable. With Taka's help we sort of mapped out the track size for Formula D and set up a practice track. Thats when things got a bit hairy, driving in this 800 foot by 350 foot area seemed to bring some problems out in the steering. I felt uneasy and would over shoot the corner. We made some drastic adjustments to the car that changed how the car reacted to inputs while in drift and it started to regain its comfort level.

Well long story short, they asked if I would like to drive it next week in vegas for Formula D, and after talking it over with a few friends, I agreed to drive. I'm really excited to get this chance as a driver to be behind the wheel, not in just any car but one that is already a proven contender.

Dont give up on my project because I havent. Still putting hours of work in and I'm so close to getting her running, then its time for testing.

Guest |330|

002.JPG

This is the dry weight. Did the final alignment today but there are still a bunch of stuff missing from the car like gas, oil, trans fluid, passenger seat, mirrors, and other stuff so this is just the dry weight. To me just having the car under 3000lbs is really good for her. I know if I built the same car again that I could bring the weight down even more but I'm really happy to be in this area right now. Down side is that the car is maxed out on what I can do with the alignment. I have to run it the way she is and see what she feels like before any changes can be made. 53% front weight isnt too bad, usually try to be closer to 52%. For some reason the cars I've driven that was at 52% felt the best.

Just worked on alot of small things mostly. Trying to get the car ready to fire up. Turbo mounted in for the last time, added a power steering cooler, also added a line lock but installed it on the rear brakes so that I can lock out the rear instead of locking in the fronts. They require us to keep moving durring burn outs, need to keep rolling or you end up digging into the track surface, so since the rear brakes are big, added the line lock just to delete the rear brakes, that way they are not dragging while your trying to do rolling burn outs.

Got to still run some hoses and such and need to go pick that up. Dont have much time before vegas so spent some of it getting the scooters up and running, and taking care of orders.

Guest |305|

hey great work and please dont give up i need to see that car run at formula D soget her done ...... i need some upper and lower control arms for my 240sx but have to get my car running first.... i have the plug and play board and im on of the very frw in chicago thats running a lot of mods with the plug and play board but it should work....... but love the car and keep us posted

Richard

Exotic-motors

Guest |330|

This weekend went really well. Tanaka Racing isnt just a team but a big family. Got to meet alot of really nice people and we had a great time. The car itself is a beast and I'm still getting used to it.

Durring the second lap of qualifying she showed me how much of a beast she can be. On the initiation, going about 75, kicked her sideways and just didnt get enough angle, she snapped right back around the other way and I was just looking at the wall thinking to myself how much this may hurt. Luckily I was running parallel with one wall and had enough room to slow down before getting into the tire wall. I basicly locked up the brakes and prayed, still ended up rubbing the front bumper against the wall and it took a chunk out of it. Thank god the damage wasnt worse. That spin kinda got me scared and I lost my confidence.

The first lap of qualifying was clean but not great so we did have a score on the board. We didnt know if it would be enough but we ended up I think in 27th which was enough to make to the tandum rounds and get some points for the series. The team was great about it, they not only jumped right on fixing the car back up to look like it just showed up to the track but also helped talk me back into doing my job of pushing the throttle down. Went out for practice and got some laps in which got me back in the game.

For tandum, we ended up getting paired with Sam in the Viper with NuForms Racing which was good. Similar type cars, both alot of power, but I knew his entry speeds where higher. I was following on the first lap and yeah, he was able to get a gap on me on the entry so I started my drift a little later to carry some extra speed in. That helped get me back closer to him but wasnt able to completely close up. Then when I led, I was trying to keep my speed up and it just made me run a little wide on the apex's which just gave him the room to be ontop of me. Sam took the win and our weekend was done.

The Tanaka's were happy with how the weekend went and asked if I would continue to drive the car and I agreed. The car was sent over to Sam's Auto Land to get the bumper repaired, then its going to Techno Square and we will work on some suspension geometry. I'm a little worried about Seattle just because I havent driven that track yet. Think everyone in drifting can agree its never easy.

Guest |330|

Got the car running today but found some things that need to be worked out. The sandwich adapter thingy for the oil cooler is leaking. The ecu water temp is off by like 30 degree's so the fans didnt turn on and it got hot. Tps wires were wrong. I still need to figure out the alt wires. Got the peak and hold injectors but dont know what value to put in the ecu. Didnt have it running long enough to start working on the tune. Going to put the wide band on it tomarro once the small things are taken care of.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest |330|

With the bullseye turbo she starts to spool at about 3500 and gets full boost at about 4500. Pulls to 7000 and stays pretty flat to 8k. Got the rev limit at 8k right now. Made 630 at 23psi and the oil cooler sprung a leak. Was on 50% 91 and 50% 104.

You could tell once we added the half race gas to it, the motor sounded alot better. Much happier on race gas. The graph smoothed out alot. I have 10gal of c16 waiting for when its ready to go for high boost. 23psi seems like it will be fine to drift on though. Its just spinning the tires once on boost, drove it up and down the road just to see. I need to take the car out to an event and drive it a bit to see what else needs to be worked on. I'll take it back for more boost and tuning after I can make sure everything else is good.

Guest |330|

I'm really happy with the Vi-pec v88. It took us a bit to figure it all out and to get the settings right but now its easy to work with. Bill up at drift office helped us out alot and talked us threw many things on the phone. At one point we hit the MAP limit and wasnt sure why the motor would just stop. The whole car would do this huge jump on the dyno which was kinda scary and then we found out why. The drop down menus make it easy to change settings and the pop up tables make it easy to tune. We tried to use the quick tune feature with a wide band but with the dynojet we used, it wouldnt load the motor enough to use this function. After some testing, then we will put the car on a load dyno and work on the tune more.

Guest Marcel B
Replace the pump with a Bosch. Not as pretty, but 100% reliable. Most pretty pumps are not correctly designed. The Bosch pumps are designed to work in cars for hundreds of thousands of miles reliably.

Ray.

Yep , the BOSCH '044 to be exact .

• 2 weeks later...

Found out it was just the fuel filter. Got filled up with that crappy foam from the cell. Had a feeling that cell was going to cause problems, I did wash all the foam and stuff before installing it. Think I need to get a larger fuel filter, just have an inline earls one right now with that washable screen but its rather small. It was probably getting clogged up on the dyno which is why we only got to 23psi.

I do have a quick question though. We have a couple switches on the dash with negative signal going to di 9 and 10 which was supposed to be used for the 4d and 5d map but for some reason when we added the 4d, it would always be on instead of triggered with the switch even though it was supposed to only go on with the switch in the settings. Did I miss one of the settings for the 4d table?

I have it on ground but had the resistor as off, I'll change that.

Noticed that the first boost table goes off of map but when you pull up the 2nd and 3rd table they are based on TP?

Cool, going to take the car out testing tomarro. Only have one set of tires so its not going to be alot of time. I'll make the changes and go from there. Need to find some time to get the car back on the dyno now.

• 3 months later...

So I havent updated my post in a long time, Let me catch everyone back up. Did the final round of FD at Irwindale with the vette but brought the lexy and the guys at BC where nice enough to have it in thier booth. WIth the vette, we did good, made top 16, people where saying its the best they have seen the vette run yet. Most of the compliments on the lexy where just how clean it was. Then again I didnt have a chance to really drive it at that point.

G-dimensions, the shop in which I've been working with and built the car at, well they havent been making enough money laitly so they needed to move to a smaller shop. So right after FD irwindale, I had to move all my equipment and the lexy home. I live in a town house with a 2 car garage. You cant even walk in the door now its got so much stuff in it. So I havent been able to do any work really ether.

But I was able to finally make the rear sub frame spacers and have a few sets that I need to tests. I'm hoping that they will also fit the mkiv's, if someone has a rear subframe laying around socal, I'd love to test fit it.

At FD irwindale, I also had a chance to talk to the nitto guys (they sponsor tires for the vette) and was able to convince them to also help out with the lexy. That was huge for me, tires were the last thing I needed to take the lexy out. I also had a chance to talk with Import Tuner and they wanted to shoot the car. Picked up some NT 05's from nitto and stuck them on the car. I really like those tires and if you look them up, they are very well priced so if your looking for some grippy street tires, dont hessitate to give them a shot.

Every year FD has a Pro Am event which is the licenceing event for new drivers and those who didnt have enough points durring the year to keep thier licences. This year they did it at irwindale and it was this past weekend. FD was nice enough to let me bring the car out on friday for the test day and use the infield before practice to shoot the car (thanks Andy, Jim, Ryan!). Then I got to take it out for a few laps durring practice. We were in a real rush to get the decals done, thanks to Naoki at Drift Day for cutting out the vinyl, and Bill Diggs for the roof logo and FD logos. Also Greg for volunteering his time to be an extra set of hands.

Remember this is the first time I had a chance to really drive the car. By the time we finished the shoot, everyone was already practicing. Got suited up and got in line. First lap out and drifted the full coarse. We havent had a chance to stick the car back on the dyno since everything had to move at the shop, but even with the 630hp or so that its making right now at 20 something boost, it was more then enough. After a few laps, she was nice and high around the bank and down low against the bottom wall.

I havent been so happy in a long time. The lexy ran great, didnt have any problems, and she just wanted more. Everyone was complimenting the build and how well the car looked and did. Being able to finally drive this car was trully sick. Unfortunatly I have been sick since then and have been in bed with the flu since sat. I cant wait to take the car back out again. You can see some pics from this weekend at http://www.driftfotos.com/.

• 8 months later...