Torque converter clutch lockup

Trent Treloar

I have my G4 extreme wired piggy back into my 2uzfe Land cruiser / LX470 5spd auto and its all going pretty good.

I am considering wiring in the control of the lockup clutch in the torque converter to supplement the factory control. Just thinking of extending the hold conditions a little. ie holding up slight hills and light throttle around town in lower gears.

As I understand it, the lockup clutch solenoid in the trans (SLU) is a PWM controlled piece as opposed to the gear select solenoids which are either on or off.  According to the Toyota wiring diagrams, both + and - go back to the factory ecu,  Question is, do I splice into both these or just the one, remembering I still wish to have the factory ecu hook in to it too.

Thanks

You will need to check what the factory is doing.

If you scope the signal you will soon see which you will need to tee into.

I'm not sure of the effects you will get but suspect the factory control will need to be disconnected.

Thanks Simon,

I've forgone the attempt to supplement the factory control and gone full control by the Link, It's all working fine now under the conditions I have set, however I now have a check engine light come up with a TCC lockup circuit error that will be fixed once I get my 5.6ohm resistor to simulate the solenoid.

One question though, is it possible to slowly ramp in the PWM up to a fixed figure? I was thinking ramping in over a one second period or less, making tcc lockup a fraction less harsh.

• 5 years later...
On 4/14/2014 at 4:56 PM, Trent Treloar said:

Thanks Simon,

I've forgone the attempt to supplement the factory control and gone full control by the Link, It's all working fine now under the conditions I have set, however I now have a check engine light come up with a TCC lockup circuit error that will be fixed once I get my 5.6ohm resistor to simulate the solenoid.

One question though, is it possible to slowly ramp in the PWM up to a fixed figure? I was thinking ramping in over a one second period or less, making tcc lockup a fraction less harsh.

Hi trent, if you don't can you share how do you wire up your solenoid to Link and share your setup in link