KMS CAN Display on V Series

jannerboy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,
I am also want to use dashboard, I have plugin G4+ (evo 9). What you say about PLEX SDM-300 DASH DISPLAY  (price is good)?

According to the Plex SDM 300/500 manual (ECU Setup information) it is support data stream from i 44/i88 ecu, but not all, it's strange, because Link software allows to use custom CAN configuration. The question is, if I setup for example EGT and Ethanol % to the dash one is display this data stream?

It looks like the SDM 300/500 uses the 'Generic Dash' CAN stream for the Vi-PEC iSeries/Link G4+.

Interestingly in the help file, for the Vi-PEC VSeries/Link G4 ECUs they use the serial stream, even though these ECU have access to the 'Generic Dash' CAN stream.

From my brief look through the help file there is no way to do custom CAN configuration on the SDM 300/500, so I can't see how you would be able to addd EGT or Ethanol.

Hi all,

Just to be different and to rid yourselves of many issues maybe try something a little different.

I have been doing this on G3 to G4 upgrades, G4 ,V Series ViPEC, G4+ and I SERIES Standalone and PNP ecu's.

Simply purchase a Windows based tablet, load your appropriate LINK / ViPEC software onto the unit and setup dash display layouts to suit etc.

This gives you the ability to display what ever data you wish to display as real time gauges, data logging, Tuning ability, remote log in with Teamviewer with internet access via wifi or HOTSPOT your phone etc.

Display any errors n the fly also.

You can get fairly reasonably priced Windows based OS tablet for a couple of hundred dollars these days .

I use and prefer Toshiba but is only my personal preference.

You simply use the ECU tuning lead that you are supplied with when you purchase your ECU, then a standard USB to mini USB adaptor as """""MOST""""" tablets use a mini USB connector.

Regards

Dave.

.USB_TO_MINI_USB_ADAPTOR.thumb.JPG.effbac

TABLET_DATA_DASH.thumb.JPG.291e95fa36f1b

Hi everybody,

just making you all aware I can also carry out the CAN BUS modifications on the LINK and ViPEC series ECU's.

I have done a lot of them now.

Or you can send to Ray Hall or direct to LINK.

Remember this is only required on units with a serial number less than 10 000.

Regards

Dave.

Hi David,

Is there anywhere in Melbourne that can perform this or do I have to post the ECU to cairns??

Also can you supply the other CAN BUS parts that I need when performing the CANBUS modification on my Vipec V44 to suit Evo 9?

1 x CAN-PCB connector (from us)

1 x CAN-F connector (from us)

Can you please PM me total price for this including return postage to Melbourne

Hi Paul,

Dave has been unwell and so has not been able to make it on here much lately. Hopefully he will be back around soon.

We are able to do the CAN upgrade on your V44 free of charge, you would need to pay the freight to and from our base in Christchurch, New Zealand.

If you would like to proceed with this please see:

http://www.linkecu.com/ECU-Service-Requests

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

If you purchased the G4+ EVO 8 plug-in you would need (at the minimum) the following to form a CAN bus to the KMS CAN display:

1 x CAN-PCB connector (from us)

1 x CAN-F connector (from us)

1 x ??? connector (from KMS)

You would then plug the CAN-PCB connector into the ECU. Next solder two wires onto the CAN H and CAN L pins of the CAN-F connector. Plug the CAN-F connector into the PAN-PCB connector. Next braid your CAN H and CAN L wires into a loom that is long enough to reach the KMS CAN dash wiring. Connect the ??? connector from KMS and then plug the ??? KMS connector into the KMS CAN dash wiring.

I don't know what the KMS connector part is, but assume they have one.

The expansion connectors used on the v44 and G4+ plug-in ECUs are the same. 

hi scott

can i order these online from linkecu.com or via sales email ?

id also like the expansion connector too please

i found two of the parts at carmodsaustralia.com.au;

CAN to Jst Connector (200mm CAN cable for plug in ECU's)
Expansion Loom (G4 Plug-In XS Loom for auxiliary sensors/inputs)

but I cant find the CANPCB module???

actually sorry, the CANPCB is the first item, its called a CAN to JST connector....

actually thats all i need, ill order these from carmodsaustralia.com - can you just confirm that expansion loom will plug onto the VIPEC board?

They don't have a picture of the expansion loom, but we only have the one type, so it will be the one. The CAN to JST connector will work fine, although if you find the serial wires interfere you will need to cut the wires for these at the white plug end. You will still need the CANF connector to connect onto the CAN to JST. Alternatively you would chop the round plug end off the CAN-JST connector, and then connect your KMS CAN bus wires to the white and green wires.

i think i recall reading somwhere that you cant use the CANBUS and CANBUSF cable at the same time?

on my vipec i have the CANUSB permentantly connected for when i want to use and use the laptop

so when i use my display unit will i have to reach into the VIPEC and swap the connectors each time? or is this where the CANEXSTENION comes into play so that the connector can sit in the glovebox for example? i dont mind if I can only use one, just want the connector in the glovebox as the evo ECU is behind the dash

On the V44 top-board (as used in plug-in ECUs) the white 5 pin connector contains USB and RS232 (serial) pins. The 5 pin white connector on the bottom board of the plug-in ECU contains CAN and RS232 (serial) pins.

Both connectors contain RS232, as older laptops and desktops has serial ports, and some aftermarket dashes used RS232 data. The problem occurs when trying to tune the ECU while having something wired to the RS232 pins on the bottom board, the wires connected to the RS232 pins on the bottom board act like an antenna, picking up electrical noise, which the ECU interprets as a corrupted attempt to tune it. It then disconnects PCLink from the ECU as it doesn't understand the commands it is getting.

These days most aftermarket dashes use CAN rather than serial, so as long as only the CAN H and CAN L pin on the white 5 pin connector on the bottom board are used there are no issues with tuning the ECU while having a CAN device connected. 

I prefer to use a CANPAN connector to connect to the white connector containing the CAN pins (on the bottom board), this is because you can keep the green and white wires, and then disconnect the other wires from the white plug. 

CANPAN.PNG

I then like to connect a CANF connector to the CANPAN as it allows me to connect only to the CAN H and CAN L pins again, and I can use 2 normal braided wires to connect to the other CAN device(s).

CANF.PNG

CANF2.PNG

Edited by Scott

• 3 years later...
On 9/9/2015 at 9:35 AM, Dave Kriedeman said:

Hi mate,

as Simon has stated it is not a modification issue with the V series it is due to the newer processor used in the i SERIES and G4+ that allows for this to work.

I have done a lot of MoTeC SDL, ADL and CDL dashes with V SERIES with CAN BUS.

Now these DASHES are cheaper and showing up second hand for sale , due to the release of the new C SERIES MoTeC dashes.

There is also the DASH 2 PRO option sold by LINKRaceTech_DASH_2_PRO.thumb.jpg.8699b8a058

These are very well priced and a nice unit.

Regards

Dave.

Dave im looking at purchasing Dash2pro to use with my V44. Do you have the can setup details? I can find plenty of info for G4+ but not much regarding the older G4/V series 

18 hours ago, BradB said:

Dave im looking at purchasing Dash2pro to use with my V44. Do you have the can setup details? I can find plenty of info for G4+ but not much regarding the older G4/V series 

Instructions here:  https://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/ECUType/ViPECCANInterface

Note you dont need to set it up all manually, on the Vipec CAN setup screen click channel 1, then click on the load button and choose the template "RaceTechnologyID100.lcc", then click on channel 2, choose the "RaceTechnologyID101.lcc" etc...

To set up the dash end, go to load configuration, then browse to C:\ViPEC\VTS V2\CAN and choose the DASH2PRO generic dash.CMG file in there.