CAN-EGT module

Anzelmi

2 hours ago, Purpleline said:

https://ecumasterusa.com/shop/ecumaster-can-expansion/

just look around the ecmaster product.  Wouldnt this can expansion be anothet solution with g4 to get all other gauges connected over can work?  

Can you clarify what you want to do? The "CAN Expansion" module you linked to is actually just a serial to CAN adapter - it is used to add some CAN functionality to the EMU ecu that didnt have built-in CAN bus hardware.  You dont need it with our ECU as we have CAN bus built in already.

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2017 at 4:29 AM, Adamw said:

I can now confirm we that we have the Ecumaster EGT to CAN device working with any G4+ ECU.

https://www.ecumaster.com/products/egt-to-can/

I will aim to get some instructions and support files into the next release of PC link but if anyone wants to use one in the mean time they can PM me for set up help.

@Adamw I have just got hold of one of these units, any chance you could share the set up info as i did't receive any documentation with the unit. I was planning to add this to the same CAN channel as the Link CAN lambda module, whats the best way of achieving this? Thanks in advance.

• 6 months later...

I'm trying to get one of these ECUmaster EGT to CAN modules to communicate with my Megasquirt MS2 V3.0 ecu...... I'm hoping to find some info in the 2 files below to help me get the ECUmaster and Megasquirt talking.....I can't seem to find a program that will open, or convert, the files to a "normal" extension. Word, PDF, ect ect .......Any help available?

OR, if someone here has gone through this already and can help that would be great !!!

Thanks for your time, Dave

Ecumaster Egt2CAN Stream2 ID1553.lcs

Ecumaster Egt2CAN Stream1 ID1552.lcs

I have no idea of how configurable the CAN is in a MS2, but the ECUmaster EGT CAN format is freely available in their EMU software help file.   You can open those "link CAN stream" files in our PC Link software (CAN setup).  But I will give you a screen shot of one anyway.

So, the first 4 EGT's are sent with ID 1552 (decimal), the 2nd lot of 4 are sent with ID 1553.  I think bitrate is configurable in their software but the default is 1Mbit/s.  8byte frame, 2 bytes per egt, least significant byte first.  Scaling is 1bit=1°C

ReqOX5h.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I read this in your earlier post and thought you could offer some guidance with this..... I've asked several times on the MS boards without success...I thought if I knew what exactly was coming out of the ECUMaster module I'd have a better chance of getting it and my MS ecu communicating.....

Posted September 4, 2017 (edited)

I can now confirm we that we have the Ecumaster EGT to CAN device working with any G4+ ECU.

I will aim to get some instructions and support files into the next release of PC link but if anyone wants to use one in the mean time they can PM me for set up help.

But, since I'm apparently not going to be able to use this with MS.....I have a brand new unit for sale cheap since it will work on you guys stuff....let me know it'll be 1/2 price...

Thanks for you time, Dave

• 2 years later...
On 9/5/2017 at 11:29 AM, Adamw said:

Hi @Adamw!

Happy new year!

Need help with my Ecumaster EGT to CAN with my G4+ Fury setup2021-01-10.thumb.png.b7da214bab20750d67729110284566ce.png. After following all the instructions and setting up the can stream to the letter, my EGT reading for 5 sensors seems to be wrong (too low). Any way you can advise and help me out? 

screen capture for your perusal as per-below!

thanks @Adamw!

Well then it is not a CAN problem if they are reading the same in the ECU master software.  

Maybe you have the TC's wired backwards?  Does the temperature read higher when you run the engine or lower?  

As a probe test, if you've got a multimeter you can measure voltage across the TC +/- wires (millivolts), then look up a Type K mV chart online to see if it compares to what you expect.  For instance at the 28°C you have displayed above you should have about 1.1mV.  At 200°C you should have about 8mV. 

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

Well then it is not a CAN problem if they are reading the same in the ECU master software.  

Maybe you have the TC's wired backwards?  Does the temperature read higher when you run the engine or lower?  

As a probe test, if you've got a multimeter you can measure voltage across the TC +/- wires (millivolts), then look up a Type K mV chart online to see if it compares to what you expect.  For instance at the 28°C you have displayed above you should have about 1.1mV.  At 200°C you should have about 8mV. 

the temp increase when i run the engine but they only increas upto around 33°C. is there anyway i can calibrate inside the linkecu itself?

thanks for helping @Adamw!

3 hours ago, cHeMiCaL_ said:

is there anyway i can calibrate inside the linkecu itself?

If they are not reading correctly in the ECU master software then it is not a calibration problem in the Link software.  You need it to read correctly in the ECU master software first, before the CAN data is going to be correct.

• 10 months later...

Alot of different devices used but I have a Link Thunder with an AIM MXS 1.2 Strada and using an AIM TC (Thermocouple) Hub.  I have the dash reading my individual EGT's but there is no help on how to get the ECU to read the AIM TC.  Help please.

The dash configure I got of the forum here somewhere to get Ethanol % to show

So things I wish you could do

1-Lambda on the Dash shows .10 instead of 1.00
2-get EGT's to the ECU
3-GPS speed sent to ECU
4-When E-throttle hits 100% the Dash shows --- instead for 100
5-Add boost POT position to dash display
6-Add clutch line pressure to dash display
7-Add crank case pressure to dash display

Badnews setup.pclr Badnews Strada 1.2.zconfig

12 hours ago, Badnews said:

4-When E-throttle hits 100% the Dash shows --- instead for 100

This is usually just caused by having too many decimal points displayed.  I dont see anything wrong in the set up.  Check the channel is only set to display 0 or 1 decimal places and the field you have it displayed in has enough room.

I think the rest should work in these files attached.  The only thing im not sure on is I noticed you have your speed units as MPH and EGT units as °F, which I havent tried before so im not sure if AIM send these out in native metric or using the user selected unit.  I have assumed metric for now, let us know if it looks wrong and note down what is displayed at each end and I should be able to sort it.  

Badnewssetup V1.1.pclr Badnews V1.1.zconfig

Well badnews. I uploaded the file into my LInk just fine.  Went and imported the configuration into Race Studio 3 and the software went glitchy.  From then on everytime I opened Race Studio 3 and clicked on anything after it opened it would  "stop responding" and I would have to close it.  So I then reinstalled Race Studio 3.  It then would load the file you made me.  So I went back to my car in an attempt to "transmit" the file to the dash.  It never worked.  It stated "firmware on dash needs to be updated to transmit."

So I went to try and install a new firmware and I was on the newest one. I went and uploaded an older one and it did the same thing.  I went back to the newest one and nothing.  So I uninstalled Race Studio 3 and 2 and all the AIM softwares.  Reinstalled it all.  When opening the new install it showed updates available for everything basically.  Did the updates and went back to the dash.  Did a firmware update and the green bar on the Race Studio went to 100% and the Dash screen said Firmware Update on it. Then it just froze.  It stayed like that for 5 minutes.  The Race studios was locked and not responding. Turned power off praying the Aim dash would reboot and it jut stays black with the top left LED blinking red.  Called AIM to see what to do but PRI is this weekend so no one answered the phone so I left a message.

Summary is I'll let you know how it all works later as I'm pretty sure I'll have to send my dash in to get fixed.

You can try this:

You will need a windows computer Running Race Studio 3 revision 3.38.03 (latest Revision)
You will also need to download from the Aim Server the latest firmware for your dash (for MXS this is currently 2.36.76)
Both the above can be downloaded if in Race Studio 3 by using the blue cloud with the three dots.

Once that is done connect to the dash by usb .
Turn off the dash.
Press the two buttons on the left of the dash while turning on the dash.( you will need stable power while you do this , don’t just hold the wires to a battery.
This will cause one led to flash red and the display will remain blank.
In the cloud with the three dots click on update device .
Then update to the latest revision if not greyed out.
If it is greyed out press other revisions and select the latest revision and press update.
The led should change frequency of flashing and then reboot.
When the MXS reboots it should be restored to a default config.

So went back to 2.32.72 and dash works BUT can't transmit a new configuration at all.

Went to 2.36.76 and the screen just displays "firmware upgrade"

Try to "tranmit" a new configuration and doesn’t do anything.

Put it back to 2.32.72 and loads my configuration but again can't upload a new one so I'm stuck with what I have stored in the dash.

20211209_142640.jpg

20211209_142319.jpg

Ive seen one other case in our tech support system where something similar was going on.  In that case the user tried a different laptop and all worked as it should.  So that would be my next advice.  Otherwise contact Aim directly or our tech support and they can contact Aim for you.  

Contacted AiM and tried a couple things. They think it just needs a restore boot done in house so I pulled the dash out and am mailing it out tomorrow.

But I was on firmware 2.32.81 so maybe when I reinstalled the Race Studio 3 it was an updated version vs what I had previously. Then I tried putting in your configuration with the newest firmware made it all messed up? Who knows. But when I restore to the old firmware all my CAN devices show up.  And on the new firmware it doesn't register anything switched. Photos taken maybe 1 minute apart with just firmware change.

Would opening a new configuration with a old Race Studio 3 make it stop working? Cause that was the original issue and why I reinstall Race Studio 3.

Also I now know why my GPS09 didn't work on my only test drive. My firmware was too old. 

20211209_172139.jpg

20211209_172256.jpg