toyota 3S

goran larsson

Hi Goran,

is the ignition system wired as wasted spark, COP.

What model 3S-GTE I have only seen them with distributors and HT leads.

Find attached all the settings for an ST185 which ran the 3S-GTE

Regards

Dave.

3S-GTE_ST_185_TRIGGERS..thumb.gif.4151e8

Hi the engien coms from a Toyota Caldina  it is no distributors and direct coil no airflowmeter going to the electric man to day to control the wiering

Regards Goran

Hi yes it is a 4th gen 3SGTE engine swap from a 1997-2002 Caldina GT-T    4 cylinders, 2.0L, turbo, COP with built-in igniters, high-impedance 540cc/min injectors, 36-2 crank trigger wheel, a trigger arm on the intake camshaft,  now i have  it on multitooth/missing trigger 1. 32-2  trigger 2. campulse1x but cant startit it sounds like happy new year  i dont now wath i am doing wrong realy need som help ?

Regards Goran 

I find this on the internet 
This engine is similar to other generations of 3sgte. Here are the main differences : 

-the turbo is a CT20b (as on ST205 3sgte) 
-the turbo and the exhaust manifold are casted togheter (its impossible to remove only the turbo) 
-this exhaust manifold will not fit any other 3sgte head because it doesnt use the same bolts pattern (7 bolts) 
-the turbo exhaust housing does’nt use the same bolt pattern (so the downpipe is different) 
-the intercooler is air to air 
-the injectors are 540cc/min 
-the ignition is different : no distributor. There is one coil/spark plug. This system is more known as COP ignition (coil-on-plug). The ECU control the ignition timing using two Variable Relocutor sensors. One is triggering a toothed wheel at the crankshaft pulley, the other is triggering a little arm at the end of the intake camshaft. 
-The intake manifold is side-feed manifold. 
-The oil pump is different because it has to locate one VR sensor. 
-The head is slightly different because the exhaust ports are bigger (look at the drawing) 
-There’s no EGR or TVIS system because its a JDM engine. (more pollution but… does’nt matter ;) ) 

Regards Goran

Hi Goran,

Firstly sorry for the delayed response, I am not very well at present.

The picture of the crank trigger wheel is hard for me to make out, even if I copy the photo and expand it ,it is too pixelated.

However the picture appears though the crank trigger square toothed section as you call it, is longer than a 2 tooth count .

The cam is not an issue that is just single, but just need to definitely confirm the tooth count on the crank.

Also just to note  I would advise changing the timing belt if it feels hard at all as well as the rust formation from the crank gear, the rusty spot on the belt normally effects the rubber and can tend to cause belt breakage.

Better to do now while apart.

Can you please try to take a better shot of the crank gear, sorry.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Simon i am disabel so i have dificold to caunt the tooth by my self but i hade a friend count it for me and hi com up with 32- somting. can i use the beams setings and changing the cam setings?

i hade a beam turbo be for so i have that seting

Regards Goran

Hi Simon i have one rwd mitsubishi lancer (1984) with a evo3 engien linkg4+ we are buting directcoils from a honda k20 on it can the mitsubichi cam sensor suport seqvential timing or only wastespark?we are doing the same with a honda d16 linkg4

Regards Goran

It would pay to check the timing on all cylinders as I have never come across a factory Toyota or any other application with a 32-2 trigger.

If it is then no problem but it would be super unusual.

• 3 months later...