Sequential & direct spark wiring question

Felix Garcia

Hi Felix,

I am a little confused.

What ECU are you using and how many cylinders is your engine.

If you have enough injector outputs to suit the number of cylinders/injectors then wire the injectors separately, (INDIVIDUALLY, SEQUENTIAL).

Then set the Ignition to WASTED SPARK and pair off your coils.

DO YOU HAVE A TRIGGER 2 ISSUE, WHY are you doing this change, so I can understand, sorry

Regards

Dave.

Edited by Dave Kriedeman

G4+ Fury

2.0 l  4 cylinder engine

I'm noob ecu tuner I'm trying to learn

I wired the car like oem (sequential, direct spark and vvt inlet cam) but is hard to start the engine without all info and skills

Vvt cam sensor (trigger n°2) have unecual teeths, I prefer to start the engine in easy way

Multipoint, wasted spark, only one trigger...

What do you think? Any tip?

Is the engine in the trigger list ?

If it is then it will be easier to start with trigger two operational.

To run group fire fuel just select multipoint group no need to rewire,

But for wasted spark the coils would need to be paired up.

Hi Felix,

can you please post your PCL file for analysis.

Looking at the scope capture if these are from your engine then the triggers 1 and 2 are working.

In runtime values F12 or R key under TRIGGERS do you see TRIGGER 1 GREEN -YES and TRIGGER 2 GREEN - YES and Finally do you see RPM.

Did you calibrate the TRIGGERS and adjust the TRIGGER OFFSET TO GET THE AIM TIMING VALUE YOU SELECTED.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Felix,

I have had a quick look at your PCL file.

I have noticed that the TRIGGER CALIBRATION you have no trigger offset it is set to 0 degrees and your set ignition timing is set to 0 also.

Have you actually done a TRIGGER CALIBRATION, where you lock the timing to a timing value you wish to check at, the ecu will lock the timing to say 10 deg BTDC and you need to adjust the TRIGGER OFFSET until you achieve the desired timing value, 10 degrees in our example.

You then need to set the IGNITION DELAY value also, adjust the number until the timing value stays locked on your preset value say 10 deg BTDC, if the timing value changes when you rev the engine you need to adjust the delay value until it no longer moves.

Running sequential fuel and ignition should work, with your setup and have no need to change the wiring etc, just setup and calibrate the triggers properly.

Did you also, calibrate the DBW and MAP sensor.

Regards

Dave.

Edited by Dave Kriedeman

Should be able to run that engine in sequential if you set the sync mode to Cam level.

This is able to be done as for one passing of the gap on the crank the cam signal is low and on the next turn of the crank the cam signal is high.

If however the engine is vvt and the cam moves relative to the crank you will have issues in this trigger mode.

Hi Felix,

you must go down to the Triggers tab.

Once you have setup Trigger 1 and 2 correctly and stored to the ECU by pressing F4,

You must,

Go to the Calibrate tab below trigger 1 and 2.

Click on the set Base Timing tab and this will unlock your Trigger calibration mode.

Set your desired TRIGGER TEST POINT DEPENDANT on your harmonic balancer or flywheel where ever it is located.

If you only have 1 mark this is normally TDC or 0 degrees.

But if you have multiple marks they may graduate in 5or 10 degree increments (confirm marks before starting).

Next step is to turn off the fuel in the Fuel Main Tab from sequential or your chosen way and set to OFF/NONE.

Or alternatively disconnect your injectors, crank the engine with a timing light.

You need to see the light fire and have the timing mark line up to what ever you have set your reference timing to , say 10 degrees BTDC.

If the timing marks don't line up simply adjust the Trigger Offset Value until they do.

These numbers can end up positive or negative.

Regards

Dave.