Denso ls1/6 coils, no spark

issis

Hi,

I´m new to to the forum and english is not my native language, but I´m trying to manage as good as possible.

I have a 1990 corvette and v8 engine on it. I´m trying to set up a Vi-Pec i88 on my car. It has sequential injection and direct spark. Injectors are doing fine but I can´t get spark. I have done the spark test and I can hear each coil clicking but can´t get spark. I can´t get the timing light working because no spark is going on spark leads. I can´t get the triggers calibrated because timing light is not working. I can´t get motor started because triggers are not calibrated.

Brand of the coils I have is Denso and coils are gm ls1/6 model.

What am I doing wrong?

Just to make sure, can anyone post the right wiring of denso ls1/6 coils and correct dwell time, please?

--issis

Hi issis,

So you have LS1 coils? These have built in igniters, so can be triggered directly from the ECU. Do you have them wired as per the attached diagram? The diagram is looking into the coils connector.

It may be worth checking the voltage on the pins of the coil as you are doing the spark test, to make sure the voltage is not dropping off.

LS1 wiring.png

Thanks for the quick answer. 

I had that exact same diagram while connecting coils. But it is possible that I have made a mistake. I have to double double check my connections to make sure...

Measuring the voltage on the pins is good idea. I'll do that.

Thanks for the help. I'll report here how I'm doing. 

Okay,

I double double checked my connections and they were all good.

I measured the voltage on the pins. Battery voltage measured directly from the battery was 11.50 volts, iVTS reading was 11.54 volts and on the coil harness connector pin voltage was 11.47 volts. During spark test voltage measured from the ignition signal pin on the coil harness connector was only 0.37 volts??!! Should it be more than 4 volts?

Thanks.

I have a spark. I had a spark all the time, my bad. Sorry.

I removed spark plug, grounded it by wire and turned the spark test on. Spark plug was sparking, but my timing light didn´t get the signal from plug wire. I tested the timing light on other car and timing light worked well. I think that plug wires I´m using are cousing the problem... Wires are shielded too good or something like that.

Now I can´t get the timing light working so how I can calibrete the triggers?

Battery is charging now to get proper voltage.

Other problem is that according iVTS I don´t have trigger signal at all.

I have a custom made 24 tooth trigger wheel on crank and crank sensor is two wire VR type. Cam sensor is cam sync distributor from efi connection https://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemId=1183

iVTS runtime values trigger status is no for trig1 signal and no for trig2 signal. Trigger scope is also getting no signal.

Crank sensor signal wire is connected to vipec connector A on pin Trig 1. Ground wire of crank sensor is connected to vipec connector A on pin shield/gnd.

Cam sensor signal wire is connected to vipec connector A on pin Trig 2. Ground wire of cam sensor is connect the same pin as crank sensor ground wire. There is also a +12V for the cam sensor.

I might have wrong settings in iVTS. What are the right settings?

Thanks.

Hi issis,

what settings are you using under your triggers.

Please put up settings for IGNITION MAIN, TRIGGER1 , TRIGGER 2 and CALIBRATE TRIGGERS.

Also press F12 or R for runtime values ,

Go to the TRIGGERS and LIMITS,

Crank the engine,

You should see a GREEN YES for TRIGGER 1

You should see a GREEN YES for TRIGGER 2

You should see TRIGGER ERRORS 0

You should see a realistic cranking RPM of 125 - 250 rpm.

Please check and report back.

If your i88 is new enough you should also have on-board TRIGGER SCOPE, Under the ECU CONTROLS TAB at the top of the page, once open the TRIGGER SCOPE is at the bottom.

Crank the engine and hit the CAPTURE BUTTON, Keep cranking until you see (HOPEFULLY) TRIGGER 1 and 2 Patterns on the screen.

Hit the SAVE AS BUTTON and save the file as TRIGGER CAPTURE 1.

Post it up on here or email it to me [email protected]

Regards

Dave.

Hi issis,

funny, you were typing another response as I was answering you and your post contains everything I was asking for.

So I looked at your sync sensor (distributor) I can not determine  if it is mag reluctor 2 wire or Hall effect 3 wire.

I assume it has only one tooth in the distributor.

On ""A"" connector pin A6 is a 8 volt supply, this is normally used as the power supply for HALL EFFECT TRIGGERS not 12 volt at say pin A5 or IGNITION although the pigtail shown states 12volts positive,it will work from the 8 volt output.

Regards

Dave.

Edited by Dave Kriedeman
added information

Hi,

In link below are details of cam sync distribution. I have the same but mine is billet version. It seems that sensor is hall effect. 

https://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemId=623

Here is a picture from the web that shows what is inside the distributor and what kind of the trigger wheel is.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=959730#/forumsite/21026/topics/959730?page=1

I hope this helps to solve my problems. 

Thanks again. 

Edit: Added link to the pic. 

Edited by issis

My bad again, sorry. I didn´t know that engine must be running or cranking to get trig1 and trig2 signlan to be OK. I cranked the engine and both triggers were OK. Engine was running something about 200rpm. So far so good. All problems that I had were coused by me not to know how to use the iVTS.

I am a rookie, this is my first engine magament project ever. So please, just try to stand me and my stupid questions. :)

I got a timing light that works on my car. Base timing was10 degrees btdc right at the beginning. I tried to change it in set base timing window, but for some reason I didn`t managed to change it. Ignition timing was all time at 10 degrees btc no matter what I did. I think that I´m doing somtehhing wrong with this thing too....

Anyway I managed to start the motor and keep it running roughly for a short time by helping with throttle.

Now I have to learn how to tune the master fuel trim to get a decent idle. I have been reading the help menu, but all things are not clear to me yet. I am trying ti figure it out.

Thanks.

issis