Thunder onboard logging, channels

Crispin

The new Thunder looks great, but is it still limited to only 25 channels of logging?

This makes no sense at all. I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting to log all the sensors they have hooked up to the ECU. If not for tuning purposes, at least for troubleshooting if (when) something happens and you investigate the log file afterwards.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to prioritize maximum logging time over more channels.

Is this somehow a hardware limitation?

If this was, say, at least 50 channels I'd upgrade from my G4+ Xtreme right way..

Another ECU brand that I sometimes use allows you to use a $USD59 serial recorder for increased logging: https://www.keelog.com/serial_recorder/.  I think some of the link data streams have about 70 channels so that would certainly be much better than the present 25, there may even be room in that datastream to squeeze in more channels... 

I don't see why Link couldn't implement something like this reasonably easily?  It would only need a small change to the logging part of the software to allow reading/conversion of the raw serial log.

Another ECU brand that I sometimes use allows you to use a $USD59 serial recorder for increased logging: https://www.keelog.com/serial_recorder/.  I think some of the link data streams have about 70 channels so that would certainly be much better than the present 25, there may even be room in that datastream to squeeze in more channels... 

I don't see why Link couldn't implement something like this reasonably easily?  It would only need a small change to the logging part of the software to allow reading/conversion of the raw serial log.

Hi,

as I stated in another post,

Keep posted there maybe an aid for this issue available soon.

Regards

Dave.

Using an external logger could certainly be done currently.

The internal logging however is not so easy.

I'm not sure if Dave is hinting that something similar to what I am suggesting is coming but at present most "external loggers" that are available cost nearly as much as the ecu itself (or more) and then you must use some 3rd party logging software.

What I'm talking about a very low cost external logger who's log files open natively in the PC Link application.  You then have something that is accessible to most users and you can continue to use the PC link tuning functionality such as the mixture map etc just like it was an "internal log".  I'm sure something like this would even be a big bonus to your Atom customers.

Hi Adamw,

what I am hinting at is not my position to release any details , it is not a LINK product but will work with LINK and any ECU.

Generic software for other brands ECU's. (all I am saying for now).

I will not elaborate any further on this until ready.

Be patient and see what happens.

Regards

Dave.

What I'm talking about a very low cost external logger who's log files open natively in the PC Link application.  You then have something that is accessible to most users and you can continue to use the PC link tuning functionality such as the mixture map etc just like it was an "internal log".  I'm sure something like this would even be a big bonus to your Atom customers.

I keep a little netbook plugged in, I datalog straight into PClink so records EVERYTHING rather than just 25 things. 
(Although at 40hz max instead of 100hz)

For me 40hz is proving good enough for trackdays / datalogging when cruising / etc. Not the ideal solution if you need 100hz, but it's a cheap option that gives access to all of the data. 

Edited by Davidv

The way Davidv logs is a good idea, another idea is to use a windows tablet and mount it to your dashboard. You can use the tablet as a display (using PCLink) and a PCLogger. These tablets can be purchased for as low as NZD$150, so make a good option.

So everything can be pc logged in 40Hz and only 25 to ecu with 100Hz. What is limiting? I would really like to here about what this external thing is and if it can log 50 or more in 100 Hz ?

Otherwise I'm likely to leave the Link Ecu for a competitors ECU wich can log a huge amount of parameters.

Hi Impellerhead,

The onboard logging is a Hardware limitation.

The unit I am referring to is being built by a friend at my request.

Same as anything, once built and software is written , both the unit and software must be tested and proved to work correctly before release.

THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSONAL FEELINGS AND STATEMENT ONLY.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LINK THEMSELVES AS I DONT WORK FOR LINK,however,

I find it a little sad that you state more or less if you don't find out about this thing and what it can do then you are LIKELY to LEAVE the LINK ECU for a competitors brand.

I will not reveal anything about this unit, I am honest and Loyal to my friends and to LINK and will not release IP to anyone until I am given the nod.

If you chose to use a different ECU I can not stop this choice, would be a shame however.

Regards

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...