Wiring twin fans

JohnRambo

Merry xmas all

i have a single 14" fan that runs off a 25a fuse and struggles with Auckland traffic.

i want to switch to 2x12 and was thinking of a hi and low temp setup.  However I want to avoid running another fuse and relay and using up 2 outputs.

i would also like to wire up and auto/override witch for track days.

any thoughts would be much appreciated

You could run one of the fans from a temp switch in the radiator, and then the other triggered by the ECU.

Does your radiator have a fitting for a temp switch already?

You can buy different ones which come on at different temps, depending on what thread pitch etc it is.

Thanks. Prior to the link I had a fan controller which had a temp sensor in the top radiator hose which I could put back into service.

does any have a recommended temp to have the second fan turn on?

i have a skyline and might look to see if I can remove the fpcm on aux 3 which would give me a spare output to drive the second fan

Hi JohnRambo,

I would set the radiator top hose capillary tube thermatic fan switch to activate at 90 deg c.

I would set the second fan to be activated via the relay from the ECU AUX O/P and also have it activate with the A/CON on so you have an A/CON  condensor fan.

Have you no spare AUX outputs including any spare injector or ignition outputs to drive the fans.

Regards

Dave.

Thanks, I set the old fan controller to 90deg and the link to control the other fan at 96deg

I don't have a/c in my car and I used the original a/c aux for a shift light.

I noticed on my link one of the aux was for a CE light which is only for map and ECT, could I use this aux for the second fan.  I have a good water temp gauge.

The CE output on the Link ECU will activate for any fault noticed by the ECU. It would be possible to use this output for controlling a second fan, but you would then not know if a fault had been noticed by the ECU.

Which ECU do you have?

I have a g4 gtslink.

the current output is only for map and ect.

i'm in the middle of setting it up so I can run a win tablet as the dash for the track, or maybe leave it permanently for the street, which would always have pclink running to show me any errors.  I also rely on the engine limiting functions to protect it.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting rid of a clutch fan on another Skyline and putting in 2x12' fans as well.  This car has the a/c however, could I remove the stock condenser fan and just run the 2x12? would that be enough for the a/c?

I think this is what DavidK was getting at.  Just want to confirm it

Hi John,

This should work fine so long as you the ECU is switching on the A/C compressor clutch. I would set one of the fans to 'AirCon Fan', and then the other fan as a GP output that activates when the first fan activates. This way they will both come on when the ECT is high enough, and both come on when the A/C compressor clutch comes on.

I would set the fans up like this:

Fans.PNG

When ECT is 96 C or higher OR AirCon Clutch is on, Aux 1 will turn on. When Aux 1 turns on, Aux 2 will turn on also. I'm unsure which Aux channels you are using, but you get the idea.

Edited by Scott

I've tried this tonight and something fully strange is going on.

It is a GTSLink and I set Aux 2 to be the aircon fan.  I ran the test and it was ok.  However, when I turned the car off it must switch to ground and the fan started to run when the car is off.

It doesn't do this on Aux Inj 8 though,  I tested with Aux 2 and Aux 1.

You need to make sure the power to the fan is removed when the key is turned off.

What you are seeing is a typical back feed. The ECU has no control over the drive once it is turned off the internal circuitry has a path to ground which will then allow the fan to run.

If you hed to

Navigation:  G4+ ECU Tuning Functions > Auxiliary Outputs >

Wiring Auxiliary Outputs

In the help file it gives a much longer explanation.