LS1 crank and cam position sensors

Wockie

In the Holden Gen 3 V8 Engine Management Manual, It shows the crank and cam position sensors have a +12v supply. Is this a regulated supply or will a connection from the battery through the ignition switch be sufficient? What is the best way to connect these sensors up? The original wiring loom was not shielded wires. Do I need to change them to shielded wires? Is there a way to check what type of sensors these are on my LS1 motor. I have added a copy of the document on the crank and cam sensor I am using as a reference.

Crank and Cam.doc

Good morning,

Thanks for the document. It is interesting to see them using a 12V supply, in our documentation we recommend a +8V supply. Possibly the sensor can work anywhere in this range.

All the information I have seen (including your document) shows that you would set the triggers up in our ECU as 'Optical/Hall'.

Hopefully someone who has installed an ECU on one of these engines will join in and tell us of their experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you put any more thought into this topic? No one else has commented on it.

One more question: when setting up ecu hold you recommend in the help pages to power up the ecu on the bench first and configure the ecu hold output first so not to damage the diode. To power up ecu on the bench, is putting a +12v to the +14v red pin and a negative to any of the ground terminals sufficient or does it require a ground to all the ground pins.

If the factory documentation says +12v then I would use that. The +8v output on our ECUs is regulated, where-as an ignition switched supply is not, with the engine running it may be up to 14.6 volts. This my be why we specified using the +8v supply.

When powering up the ECU on the bench using just one of the 'Ground' pins (pins A25 or A34) will be fine.

Hi

I am setting up my Link ecu. It is a Storm Black. I'm setting it up for wasted spark. I wish to use ignition drive 7 as a GP output to drive a reverse inhibit solenoid on the gearbox so it will energise if Vehicle speed is <8.0kph and RPM is >800. Where do you select the polarity for this output? I have set up these conditions but is it active high or low if it is not a selectable parameter. The other ignition drive outputs that I have configured for the engine fans and ecu hold relay, these parameters allow me to select the polarity.

cheers

Wockie

Hi Wockie,

The GP Output function does not have a polarity setting. This is because it is true (On) when the conditions specified are met. For an ignition channel being used for an auxiliary output function this means the ignition drive will drive low when activated.

• 1 month later...