Rb26 trigger setup

turbodailydan

HI Dan its going to depend on the sensors you choose to use for the pickups.

But the general gist is that what was the 360 signal will need to be moved to the crank sensor and the other 180 signal will need to stay on the cam position input.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps, just to bring this back up, I've ordered a Ross ckp/cmp trigger setup, which uses Hall effect sensors. Would like to wire these into the factory cas loom, is this possible? 

Also, what settings will I need to alter on the software? 

If if you have a link that explains the above then please feel free to share it if it's easier for you , cheers! Dan 

Hi Dan,

Yes, the factory sensor wiring can be used. All hall sensors I've seen use +v, sensor ground, and the trigger signal wire. The only thing to check is that the sensors in the Ross kit use +12V.

Nissan triggers.PNG

You will most likely end up using the Multi-tooth Missing trigger mode. I'm unsure of the Ross trigger pattern, but if you can provide some details we can provide some more in depth advice.

Edited by Scott

Ok I have the hardware now. The sensors are Honeywell gt101 Hall effect so can be run with 5v or 12v supply so that's good. When wiring these into the original cas harness, I presume wire the ckp to the trigger 1, and cmp to trigger 2?  (Presuming you can switch these round on the software anyway?)

And what needs to be adjusted on the software side of things? The crank trigger is a 12 tooth with no teeth missing. 

image.jpg

Edited by turbodailydan

Your cranktrigger needs to be connected to the "trigger 1" input and cam on "trigger 2". If unsure wich wire goes where just use a DVOM and messure it.

In trigger setup choose "Multitooth" and trigger priority 1

Under trigger 1 it needs to be set to Optical/Hall (this is already set if you ran stock cas) Pullup ON, Falling edge, Crank posittion and 12 theeth.

Trigger 2 is set to Optical/Hall, Pullup ON, Falling edge (Or what Ross recomends), and Cam pulse 1x.

Thats it. Remember to calibrate your timing with a timinglight before you start it up. And use a plugwire between your coil and plug to hook up the timinglamp to..

Also if your timng looks good while cranking but it wont start, you might be 360 degrees out. In this case add or substract 360 degrees to the timingoffset you are working with.

Oh, and welcome to the world of stable timing ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got all this mounted and wired up. Changed settings on vipec as per your settings. Only problem I have is the timing light is flashing very very slowly, like 1 flash every 2 seconds.. so I'm unable to check the timing. 

Runtime values with ignition on show trig1 arming 1.47v and trig2 arming 1.48v. 

And when cranking , Trigger signal 1 and 2 reads yes. 

trig1 err counter : 3

Thinking my timing gun is bust as its not working at all now.. Will get another and re test.

another question I have, is there a base figure to start from for the trigger offset? Base timing was set to 10 degrees and offset -87. Just wondered if I should start from zero or -360 and adjust until the light shows 10deg 

Ok so I managed to get her running and idling. Locked the timing to zero and adjusted the offset until timed up (offset -5).

only issue I have is the cas has to be rotated fully anti clockwise to make it run. And it's not at 20deg btdc as per Nissans Manual. 

Presuming i should centre the cas, and then crank the engine with injectors off, and adjust offset until at zero and then adjust the cas. 

Ok so I managed to get her running and idling. Locked the timing to zero and adjusted the offset until timed up (offset -5).

only issue I have is the cas has to be rotated fully anti clockwise to make it run. And it's not at 20deg btdc as per Nissans Manual. 

Presuming i should centre the cas, and then crank the engine with injectors off, and adjust offset until at zero and then adjust the cas. 

Yes, centre the CAS and re-adjust your offset. 

Almost there..

So I centred the cam angle sensor and Set the timing to zero and adjusted the offset which ended up at -310. Timing light showed zero lined up, cranked her over and sounded like timing was out, presumed by 360 degrees so changed offset to +50 and she fired up.

so now, do I need to adjust the cam angle sensor until it's running at 20 degrees, by locking the timing to 20 via the same menu? 

You dont need to do anything to the cam sensor other than check that the cam synk signal and one of the crank theeth DONT pass the sensors at the same time. Preferably you should set the cam sensor so that it triggers halfway between two crank theeth.

To get timinglight and crank marks to line up you just adjust timing offset in the software.

That's what confused me as one of the tuners told me this

It may not be @ Zero. Will most prob be a - figure thou.

Once you happy with the timing is correct come out of the trigger set up screen store again and go to main ignition screen and ensure the timing at idle which will be 20Deg is correct.

So I don't need to set the ignition to 20deg like the factory timing. 

I guess locking timing to zero and mechanicly setting it to zero is the same thing. Your just syncing the actual timing to what the ecu is expecting. I get it now. Just had my head in the old way of doing it confused me for a minute 

so I can just leave the cam angle sensor housing where it is, as long as the timing at the engine is reading the same as the ecu

Another question I have is what is the milliseconds settings for at the bottom of that menu? It's currently set to 88ms

Edited by turbodailydan

So just to get this straight, rotating the cam sensor won't effect the timing? At the moment the cam sensor adjuster is in the centre position, so the cam trigger slot is aligned with the cam sensor at tdc. So your saying it needs to be adjusted so the cam trigger passes the cam sensor when the crank trigger is half way between 2 teeth? What's the importance for this?

thanks again for the help appreciate it 

Your last q first.

This is important cause.. well try to follow me here.

What happens with your setup is this.. When the CAM synksignal fires it tells the ECU that, HEY Cylinder ONE is coming up for a spark. Start counting theeth on the CRANK and fire when ready!   Now when it have counted (say 5 is the correct count at this particular spark event) its crank theet it triggers the spark.... Now, IF you have the cam synk triggering very close to a crank thooth you potentially have a problem due to the fact that the cam trigger is hooked up to the crank via a timingbelt. The same belt and system that made you get the ROSS kit in the first place cause of timing scatter. The camsynk signal STILL scatters as before so there is a possibility that the cam triggers on the WRONG side of the thooth the CRANK was supposed to start counting from. If this happens your timing will be (360/12=) 30 degrees wrong. Wich is bad.

If you had a triggerwheel with a missing thooth this would not be an issue though...

About the millisecond thing. Press on the setting and hit F1. It should give a good explenation on how it works

EDIT: No that wont work. Go to the ignition main page and hit ignition delay then F!

Edited by Steve