Setup Analog to Can Converter

impellerhead

I asked this once as well and wondering if the latest firmware updates have brought some solutions for this. When I asked before, the basic answer was sort of, not really. 

Apparently the ecu is capable of seeing the signal and logging it, but it will only give you voltages and channel numbers. No labels, no scaling with units, and not able to use the signals for anything internal to the ecu. 

There are many devices like that though on the market. 

The SSI from innovate gives 4 analog inputs with a CAN pass through and there is also a 4 channel thermocouple version.

PLX devices makes sensor modules that can be daisy chained together. This is the system that I have that I would really like to incorporate into my vipec and be able to use my oil pressure/temp and egt to trigger some failsafes in the ecu over CAN without eating up inputs I don't have.

Haltech also makes an IO expander that has 4 analog, 4 digital, and 4 outputs that connects to their ecus over CAN. Megasquirt has a kit that is almost identical to this that you can customize.

I think all the motec datalogger stuff can do this sort of thing too that allows for usable inputs to the ecu...?     

Really hoping that incorporating something like this into link or vipec is an option at some point. I need more inputs! 

Hi all,

The Link G4+/Vi-PEC iSeries CAN is customisable by the user, and so most CAN devices should be able to be supported. Looking at the GaugeArt device I can't see why it could not be supported. If there was a problem we are happy for you to send the device to us so we can determine the settings and make it easier for customers in the future.

Some of the devices are already supported by us with setup files or instructions.

Check out PCLink Help > G4+ ECU Tuning Functions > CAN > Device Specific CAN Information

CAN devices.PNG

Possibly. The problem with the haltech CAN devices I have seen is that they do not publish the CAN data layout, so trying to configure your vi-pec/link to suit is not easy. However if you can get the data then no reason it shouldn't work. Also other manufacturers produce units that are able to be used (Motec E888, etc)

Im willing to buy the gauge sport device and send it to Link to get the Can protocols done!!

I am  running a plug in G4+ and in dire need of some more inputs!!!

Hi all,

The Link G4+/Vi-PEC iSeries CAN is customisable by the user, and so most CAN devices should be able to be supported. Looking at the GaugeArt device I can't see why it could not be supported. If there was a problem we are happy for you to send the device to us so we can determine the settings and make it easier for customers in the future.

Some of the devices are already supported by us with setup files or instructions.

Check out PCLink Help > G4+ ECU Tuning Functions > CAN > Device Specific CAN Information

CAN devices.PNG

Im willing to buy the gauge sport device and send it to Link to get the Can protocols done!!

I am  running a plug in G4+ and in dire need of some more inputs!!!

Hi dmacnz, 

Are you talking about the gauge art one, or something different? I had a look at the gauge art analog to CAN converter, it looks like it may not be available yet.

Hi dmacnz, 

Are you talking about the gauge art one, or something different? I had a look at the gauge art analog to CAN converter, it looks like it may not be available yet.

Seems it is available, I think they will be in touch with Link! Keen to give this a go!

Edited by dmacnz

• 2 weeks later...

Good. If they can provide us with the CAN data layout that would make a good starting point.

hi Scott --

Thank you for your offer to help. It sounds like our Analog to CAN Converter would be compatible with your ECU and a great addition! Please send us an e-mail ([email protected]) so we can provide the required CAN layout.

By the way - I know Link / Vipec customers are already using our gaugeART Video Gauge Adapter with your ECUs and love it. Thank you again for the support! 

Scott @ Link was kind enough to setup a template for our device in the Link software to allow the gaugeART Analog to CAN Converter to be compatible. @Impellerhead is installing a unit with his G4+. If you are interested, please drop us an e-mail!

Hi guys,

I've put together some Link CAN stream files to support the gaugeART analog to CAN device. I don't have access to the actual device, so if someone (impellerhead?) has one and can test this it would be appreciated. Here is a quick rough video showing how to set it up on the ECU end of things:

https://vdoubleyou-scott.tinytake.com/sf/NjA2MTcyXzMwMTc0NTQ

Attached are the CAN stream files required. 

Thanks to Chris at gaugeART for providing the data and support required.

gaugeART Analog to CAN - ID 1313.lcs

gaugeART Analog to CAN - ID 1312.lcs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Just did a search for SSI-4 and found this thread.

I have an Innovate SSI-4 that I purchased to use with the Adaptronic ECU I had previously. Never used it, not really worth my time/loss to sell it.

Can it be put to any use whatsoever with the G4+ plug in I have?

• 11 months later...

Im new here but wonder if the PLX SM-AFR Wideband the TX/RX port can be input to g4+ as well.  Found nothing yet but there is an interfacing boards can link it up fm here.

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=5414.0

I just installed this PLX and hopefully no need to buy another set fm AeM or the LC2..... if it could work for digital output into link

17 minutes ago, Purpleline said:

Im new here but wonder if the PLX SM-AFR Wideband the TX/RX port can be input to g4+ as well.  Found nothing yet but there is an interfacing boards can link it up fm here.

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=5414.0

I just installed this PLX and hopefully no need to buy another set fm AeM or the LC2..... if it could work for digital output into link

The PLX wideband digital output is RS232 in their iMFD format.  19200 baud rate, 8 data bits , no parity and 1 stop bit.  It is output at 10Hz.  They will send you a PDF file with details of the format if you ask them.  So basically no it won't work over CAN...

Hope this helps,

Richard.