Wideband and Knock controll

Hagandaaz

Hi all just looking for a bit of information.

First off a bit of background to my questions. I have a Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR and it decided that it wanted to over heat and crack cylinder 3. It's now having a forged build and I am going to by the G4+ atom to run it.

I am looking at a few extra things to help protect it like a wideband O2 sensor and Knock detection/controll so my question is - does the G4+ atom allow me to use any aftermarket wideband and Knock controll with it? And which ones could anyone recommend?

I was looking at the Innovate Motorsport LC1 wideband but not sure on a knock controll device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3SGE or 3SGTE Engines always wreck the number 3 cylinder first...

It's the last cylinder to get coolant, that isnt on the end of the block. Depending on intake manifold design it can bias that cylinder as well.

I've rebuilt a 3S that had Cyl 3 completely nuke itself too.

Regardless of whatever knock strategy and wideband you use, it might pay to pull a slight amount of timing or adding a slight amount of fuel to cyl #3. From memory this is what the Motec basemap for 3SGTE does.

How far along are you with your engine build? There was a revision to the 3S Engine blocks in 1998 or so, with some extra webbing that stops the blocks from cracking with lots of power.

If you still in the process of sourcing an engine block, be sure to get one of the newer ones.

Starting with a Caldina GTT block and head as the base for your rebuild is an easy way to switch to coil on plug while getting the stronger block.

Edited by Davidv

If you want knock control I would strongly suggest stretching the budget to a Storm.  An Atom plus an extra standalone knock device then the extra wiring and tuning of two devices will work out about the same or higher cost as a storm with built in knock control.  The integrated knock control functions would be hard to match by any standalone system.

For lambda my suggestion is to avoid innovate controllers (noisy analog, short sensor life) and preferably go for something that can communicate via CAN.  Right now the AEM X-series would be my pick, although there has been a few hints on this forum that there might be something new from Link soon too.