Mr2 3GSTE Boost Solenoid Wiring

Chunkymunkey

Hello,

I recently purchased the G4+ ECU for my MR2.  I currently have a boost controller and I would like to retire it in favor of the boost control feature in the G4+ ECU.  From reading through the various postings on the forum I gathered that on a 2-wire, 3-port solenoid I would need to connect one wire to switched 12V and the other to the AUX-out port on the ECU.  Reading through the manual for the ECU I see that there's AUX3 and it's labeled "Wastegate Solenoid" so I would like to confirm that is the port to connect the other wire on the boost solenoid to.

My existing boost controller has three modes, off, low, high and I would like to mimic those modes.  I'm thinking that I would need to wire in two separate switches, one to turn on and off the boost solenoid and the other to control low/high mode. Wiring for the on/of switch is pretty straight forward but I'm not so sure about the low/high switch.  Again from reading through the forum postings I saw a posting where the recommendation for low/high control is to wire the output pin on the switch to one of the DI ports on the XS wiring harness. So a couple of questions with that approach:

1. What voltage should the input to the DI port be, 5VDC or 12VDC?

2. Programming of the ECU to associate the DI port for how/high mode, not sure where I would start...help!

Hello,

I recently purchased the G4+ ECU for my MR2.  I currently have a boost controller and I would like to retire it in favor of the boost control feature in the G4+ ECU.  From reading through the various postings on the forum I gathered that on a 2-wire, 3-port solenoid I would need to connect one wire to switched 12V and the other to the AUX-out port on the ECU.  Reading through the manual for the ECU I see that there's AUX3 and it's labeled "Wastegate Solenoid" so I would like to confirm that is the port to connect the other wire on the boost solenoid to.

My existing boost controller has three modes, off, low, high and I would like to mimic those modes.  I'm thinking that I would need to wire in two separate switches, one to turn on and off the boost solenoid and the other to control low/high mode. Wiring for the on/of switch is pretty straight forward but I'm not so sure about the low/high switch.  Again from reading through the forum postings I saw a posting where the recommendation for low/high control is to wire the output pin on the switch to one of the DI ports on the XS wiring harness. So a couple of questions with that approach:

1. What voltage should the input to the DI port be, 5VDC or 12VDC?

2. Programming of the ECU to associate the DI port for how/high mode, not sure where I would start...help!

Hi Chunkymunkey,

You can set this up a few different ways. The DI port can be wired as a 12v input to be on and 0v as off. You can set this up inverse of this as well. However you like. This is the easiest way of going about it.

Once you have it setup you can check functionality in the Run Time table and see if your digital input is working correctly.

Sincerely,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your input.

I'm a little bit confused about using the DI port to turn on and off the boost solenoid.  Would using a standard 3-port switch to control the power to the solenoid do the same thing?  Also, what about the low/high boost modes?

Also, can someone confirm that AUX3 for the MR2 ECU is the correct port to connect the boost solenoid to?

Thanks!

Hi Chunkymunkey,

You can have an on/off switch for the wastegate solenoid if you want, just install the switch in series between the ECU output and the wastegate solenoid. 

For the high/low switch, wire one side of the switch to sensor ground, then the other side of the switch to an available Digital Input channel. Then go to ECU Controls > Boost Control > Multiple Boost Tables and set it up so the digital input channel causes the boost control to swap tables.

boost switch.PNG

The 'sensor ground' is a ground output from the ECU that is intended for use with inputs to the ECU. If you look at the pinout info for our ECUs you will see pins labelled as sensor ground (or Gnd Out).

The switches you have are different from a normal on/off switch. There should only be two pins and two switch positions, as the switch either joins the two pins or disconnects the two pins.

switch.jpg

• 4 years later...

Scott,

I am trying to wire in a mac valve with an on/off switch to run off wastegate springs when off and mac vlv when on.  I take it 1 wire is 12v to mac vlv with switch between and the other wire goes to a Aux 3.  Do I need a sensor grnd wire and if so what if both sensor grnds on ECU are in use?  Can you splice off of one or is their another grnd that can be used?