Toyota 1zz-fe base map

Jimmy k

Hello, 

I'm using G4 atom for 1zz-fe engine. I can't find any base map, apreciate to anyone could share it to me.

Aside above, I'm using G4 atom to control fuel & ignition. Others analogue input using stock sensor. Vvt-I control by oem ecu. Currently still having rough idle. 

Do I need to wire Digital input 1 & 2 to VVT signal?

Thank you.

Jimmy.  

We have not built a plug-in ECU for the 1zz-fe, so do not have a base-map to share. However I'm sure others have used our wire in ECUs on these engines, so hopefully someone will have a base-map to share.

Does the engine use an idle solenoid? Is the OEM ECU still controlling it?

No need to wire VVT signal to digital input channels on Atom if OEM ECU is controlling VVT.

The attached file is what a friend has run on his turbo 1zz for the last 7 years.  It's a v44 map but you can use it as a reference. 

The engine is in a cable-throttle ZZE122 corolla, standard PWM idle valve, returnless fuel system with static fuel pressure and vvti controlled by the V44.  The trigger/vvt mode is set to 2NZ as we had a massive miss on the dyno around 4000rpm with the 1zz setting.

JYU 1ZZ 12032016.pcl

Edited by JMP

We have not built a plug-in ECU for the 1zz-fe, so do not have a base-map to share. However I'm sure others have used our wire in ECUs on these engines, so hopefully someone will have a base-map to share.

Does the engine use an idle solenoid? Is the OEM ECU still controlling it?

No need to wire VVT signal to digital input channels on Atom if OEM ECU is controlling VVT.

yes, the oem ecu still controlling VVT, yes the engine use idle solenoid and oem ecu is control it.

can atom control VVT ? Sorry for newb question. 

The attached file is what a friend has run on his turbo 1zz for the last 7 years.  It's a v44 map but you can use it as a reference. 

The engine is in a cable-throttle ZZE122 corolla, standard PWM idle valve, returnless fuel system with static fuel pressure and vvti controlled by the V44.  The trigger/vvt mode is set to 2NZ as we had a massive miss on the dyno around 4000rpm with the 1zz setting.

JYU 1ZZ 12032016.pcl

Hi JMP,

i will give it a try, currently is running NA, in couple months it will be turbo. 

Thank you Scott & JMP for your swift response

Hello JMP,

I can't view the setting, which version of pclink you using?

Error: The ECU is too old for this software version! (viewing as .pcl file)

When i change it to (.pclr), it prompt: Unable to open file named: JYU1ZZ12032016.pclr

It has been encrypted to an ECU and can only be opened when that ECU is connected.

Do i need to use older version of PClink to view it.

Thank  you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott,

After use base map from JMP, the engine much smoother now but I'm still getting rich reading from NB oxy sensor even after adjust it to leaner setting. One thing I notice, my temp meter always read cold when using G4 ecu but back to normal if after swap back to oem ecu. I wire to oem ntc temp sensor without any pull up.

Could that be the reason the oem ecu get wrong temp reading think the engine still cold all the time. The idle Always on high side. 

Please advise. 

Thanks you. 

Hi Jimmy, 

The Atom An Temp channels already have a pullup resistor on them inside the ECU. If you are sharing the Temp sensor between the factory ECU and the Atom you will want to connect the sensor to an AN Volt channel on the Atom. Configure the AN Volt channel as 'ECT (Ext Pullup)', but do not actually install a pullup resistor, the factory ECU has one.

The idle could be related to your ECT sensor not working correctly.

It is hard to tell with a narrowband O2 sensor, as they only display rich or lean, and not by how much. I would recommend buying or borrowing a wideband O2 sensor and controller to do the tuning.

The Dash Cluster temp meter is fed direct from the ECU, it will always read cold with every aftermarket ECU apart from Kaizen Garage's ZZE/ZZT Adaptronic based plugin which has an additional circuit onboard to convert the signal to one the cluster can accept.  The stock ECU outputs it's engine coolant temperature signal for the dash cluster from pin B-17, on the 22 pin ECU plug.  PCB pin THWO.  You can trace the signal with an oscilloscope using the stock ECU from dead cold to operating temp and then use an audrino or similar to create a module that will convert one of the vipec outputs to a signal the same as stock the cluster can interpret

The narrowband sensor is quite useless, please replace it with a wideband setup

You will need to tune all the idle base position tables etc from scratch

Edited by JMP

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to both Scott & JMP on the advise. 

JMP, does this means I would still get cold reading even I rewire it as Scott suggestion, just to reconfirm because I haven't have time to redo it. I guess it would be easier to install a separate ntc temp sensor. That would solve all my hassle.

yes I'm sure will replace NB with WB sensor.

Edited by Jimmy k

Hi Jimmy,

does this means I would still get cold reading even I rewire it as Scott suggestion, just to reconfirm because I haven't have time to redo it

I'm unsure on this. JMP will likely know. The easiest option may be installing an additional ECT sensor for the Link.

to have the factory water temp gauge in the cluster work, you need to retain the stock ecu.  You cant drive it with the Link.

You can piggyback the stock ecu with the link and run a second water temp sensor, but that is a really messy solution.

• 1 month later...

I was looking into this a bit more today and realised you can set one of the vipec outputs to a general purpose PWM signal.  I'm putting a scope on a stock car tomorrow to measure the THWO output to the dash, but from memory it's a PWM signal with the duty cycle increasing with engine temp.  If that's the case it will be possible to wire the output to the THWO pin in the stock loom, then set the output to General Purpose PWM, set the on condition to ECT > -50, then in the PWM 3d table set the load axis to ECT and put in the appropriate duty cycle to drive the gauge to where you want it.  I'll confirm the frequency and duty cycle for various temperatures soon.

did a quick check on a stock ZZE122 this afternoon, the THWO output to the dash cluster had a frequency of 2.393Hz, period of 418mS and duty cycle went from 96% cold to 43% at operating temp.  The vipec in the ZZE I've done only goes down to 10Hz for the GP PWM output so I'm going to give it a test next weekend and see what happens.  Attached is a snipped from a 1hz service manual referencing the THWO output.

I'm going to setup the table with 85% duty at 30deg, then linear decline to 45% at 80deg and extrapolate it from there.  Will be good if it works ;)

THWO.JPG

Edited by JMP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...