ViPEC i88 to AiM MXL2 via CAN2

CCS

I have my fuel level sensor connected to ViPEC i88 AN Volt 7 and setup the cal Table 1.

How do I send this parameter to MXL2? I read about how to do CAN setup, but I can't seem to figure out at the MXL2 end.

Anyone done this yet?

The problem is that (I believe) the MXL2 does not have customisable CAN like the i88. This means you are not able to configure the dash to receive CAN outside of the setup Aim have already made. The MXL2 will use the i88's 'Generic Dash' CAN stream, and there is no parameter in this for fuel level.

One way that may work is to trick the ECU and the dash. For example, if you set ANV7 up as Oil Pressure, the ECU will then send the data for this out to the dash, the dash will think it is displaying oil pressure. Here is the data layout for the Generic Dash CAN stream, maybe one of the other parameters would work better for you.

Generic Dash.PNG

Thanks Scott. Good idea but Oil Pressure is in use. Would i88 Knock(0-5v) be a better choice? I don't remember I have any Knock setup.

I've also contacted AiM, hope that can create a proper MXL2 driver.

Knock won't work as an AN Volt channel can not be assigned as that. Possibly Oil Temp, MAF, Gear Position, or Fuel Pressure. Whichever one you use, make sure it does not influence something else in the ECU. For example, fuel pressure can be used for the fuel equation (including deadtimes), you wouldn't want your tune changing with fuel level :D

• 8 months later...

In case anyone is trying to do the same or something similar. AiM released a new feature. Now you can build your own CAN message.

CAN DRIVER BUILDER The CAN Driver Builder is a utility included in RaceStudio3, intended for developing a software driver capable to read a CAN datastream coming from an ECU or a different device. The driver produced can be used on one of the following devices: MXG, MXS, MXL2, EVO4S, EVO5.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/software/doc/CANDriverBuilder_100_eng.pdf