Fant

There are pretty good formulas for density for standard fuel compositions (petrol/ethanol) available (see attachment).

It might be easier for many users to just use a predefined fuel type from a drop down list (like for temperature sensors).

With a 3rd degree polynomial description for fuel density in the ECU firmware it would also be more accurate.

bio-ethanol-d.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

This is something which I really don't understand, but I setup off the actual fuel MSDS sheets.

If you check Gull NZ MSDS for Gull Force Pro (E85) they spec gravity as 735kg/m3 

My other fuel is BP98 @ 750kg/m3. These figures have resulted in a good tune so I am happy for now - I do wonder about your sheet though as the figures are very different. Would be interested if someone is willing to be kind enough to explain?

Really interesting. The petrol density is not to much off but the E85 differs by 7%.

The density of pure Ethanol at 20°C is 0.789g/cm³ so 0.735g/cm³ for E85 at 15°C seems a little strange to me.

The Gull data sheet for E85 says that the petrol content can vary from 10 to 30%. Maybe this is one of the reasons.

Edited by Fant