Speedhut CAN Gauges

Collins

Looking at the Speedhut Freedom CAN-BUS gauges, they list the following information:

Typically, all vehicles 2008 and newer are required to be compatible with the CAN (J1979) protocol. Some manufacturers used the CAN protocol before 2008. Not all gauge types will be supported on your vehicle's ECU. For example, not all ECUs support fuel level output.

Check with your vehicle’s dealer or the manufacturer of the ECU for information about what types of output are supported.

The following gauges will work with all ECUs with the CAN (J1979) protocol:

• Freedom CAN-BUS Speedometers will work with all CAN (J1979) protocol compatible ECUs.
  • Freedom CAN-BUS Tachometers will work with all CAN (J1979) protocol compatible ECUs.
  • Freedom CAN-BUS Water Temperature Gauges will work with all CAN (J1979) protocol compatible ECUs.
  • Freedom CAN-BUS Intake Air Temperature Gauges will work with all CAN (J1979) protocol compatible ECUs.
  • Freedom CAN-BUS Voltage Gauges (Voltmeter) will work with all CAN (J1979) protocol compatible ECUs.

The following gauges have limited support on ECUs with the CAN (J1979) protocol:

• Freedom CAN-BUS Fuel Level Gauge is NOT supported on all CAN (J1979) protocol compatible ECUs.

The following gauges will only work with ECUs (with the CAN (J1979) protocol) made by General Motors (GM):

• Freedom CAN-BUS Oil Pressure Gauges
  • Freedom CAN-BUS Oil Temperature Gauges
  • Freedom CAN-BUS Trans Temperature Gauges

From what I can see the Link ECU uses a protocol of ISO15764, does this mean the Speedhut gauges will not work at all? Has anyone tried configuring these gauges with their Link? 

I don't know how much J1979 has in common with ISO 15764-4. Google tells me that J1979 equivalent is ISO 15031-5 

I do know that the OBD2 output of our ECUs works with a wide range of OBD2 scanning devices. Maybe someone who has actually used our ECU with the Speedhut devices will have some useful feedback.

Scott