Best wideband for use with the Storm?

PitBull

What is the general consensus of what controller/sensor works best with the Link?  I don't want to say money is no object, but I'm prepared to spend money to get something that is going to be solidly accurate and long-term reliable.

I currently have an AEM UEGO wideband gauge/controller combo which I've had for 5+ years.  It has always given me a consistent, if not not totally accurate, readout on the gauge.  I make this statement because for years I ran it with the stock ECU (which used the NB sensor) and the values on the gauge appeared to correspond with my expectations (i.e. 14.7-ish when in closed loop, 11.5-ish or richer when in boost at WOT).

However, in trying to utilize it's 0-5v output with my Storm I get inconsistent results.  First off, the calibration voltages in the AEM instructions never give me a result where the AFR readout on the Storm matches what I'm seeing on the gauge.  However, even after meticulously setting the calibration table through trial and error, the readout on the Storm seems to drift vs. the AEM gauge readout.  I do have the AEM gauge ground connected to the Storm's sensor ground.  So my guess is that my AEM controller's 0-5v output is not stable, so I'd like to replace it.

thoughts?

PB

Edited by PitBull

I would opt. for the new AEM X series gauge. I have placed one in the 1jz-vvti RX7 we did twin charged and it is very consistent and stable. My guess is the controller itself is just starting to slow a bit because of its age. I also really like the new PLX series wide band sensors with touch screen gauges. Both in my opinion are great. If money is not an option and you want top of the line NTK air fuel monitor.

Hope this was helpful. Each one have their own unique features.

-RichRDE

You have CAN on the storm, right? I would suggest you find a controller with CAN output and use that instead of a 0-5v signal. Can is not affected by "ground offset". But yeah, age might be a factor also.

There are several vendors offering these.. AEM, Motec, KMS, Emtron, Ecotrons to name a few

Edited by Steve

Hey I'd just like to share my experience with widebands (and damaging sensors)

I've managed to burn through 4 sensors and have tried 2 different brand controllers in a short period of time and I'm now onto my 5th.

I believe I have now found the main issue that damages them.
I had the wideband wired up so that when the key is turned on, the sensor turns on.
The problem here is that I generally plug in my laptop first and upload an updated tune or whatever before starting the car.

So the O2 sensor gets fully up to temp, and first crank of the engine sends a big rush of cold air going past it and cracks the ceramics in it. 
I revised this so that I now have a relay activating the wideband power, which is triggered by the ECU.

Now if the engine temp is above 70deg and rpm above 500rpm it will switch the wideband on straight away.
If the engine temp is lower than that, it will wait 5 seconds after engine start before starting to warm up the sensor.

But the main thing is to just not have the wideband running while the engine is turned off.

So far, on this sensor wired this way I've had no issues yet.
But this seems to be the critical thing with making them last, if you're going to keep it wired in all of the time.

I've used both the AIM LCU1 and the Innovate LC2 and bother performed similarly despite huge price difference.
I wish I bought a CAN output version though instead of analog, as it's got benefits as mentioned above.

From a technical point of view it seems like that short of full integration with the ECU (Like with the Fury ECU) the 14point7.com widebands are the most avanced.

Edited by Davidv

Yes, is there a release date Scott?  And will it have a stand-alone gauge option?

I do like the idea of using CAN for the lambda sensor.  The AEM-X series does have that and certainly talks itself up quite a bit.

Davidv:  I have actually had my O2 sensor wired up on the accessory circuit so it's on even when I'm just listening to the radio.  I wasn't really sure if that was the best thing for it, but over all the years it did not seem to affect it in the way yours were.  However, when I wire up the new one, I will make the effort to wire it so that it's only on when the key is in the RUN position. 

Edited by PitBull

Yes, is there a release date Scott?  And will it have a stand-alone gauge option?

We expect to have units ready to go in approximately two weeks. I do not have pricing information available at this time. If you are thinking of ordering send an email to [email protected] and the sales team will be able to tell you more.

It will not have a stand-alone gauge, but as it works with CAN any aftermarket display or gauge capable of receiving data over a CAN bus could be configured for this use.

Scott 

What is the general consensus of what controller/sensor works best with the Link?  I don't want to say money is no object, but I'm prepared to spend money to get something that is going to be solidly accurate and long-term reliable.

I currently have an AEM UEGO wideband gauge/controller combo which I've had for 5+ years.  It has always given me a consistent, if not not totally accurate, readout on the gauge.  I make this statement because for years I ran it with the stock ECU (which used the NB sensor) and the values on the gauge appeared to correspond with my expectations (i.e. 14.7-ish when in closed loop, 11.5-ish or richer when in boost at WOT).

However, in trying to utilize it's 0-5v output with my Storm I get inconsistent results.  First off, the calibration voltages in the AEM instructions never give me a result where the AFR readout on the Storm matches what I'm seeing on the gauge.  However, even after meticulously setting the calibration table through trial and error, the readout on the Storm seems to drift vs. the AEM gauge readout.  I do have the AEM gauge ground connected to the Storm's sensor ground.  So my guess is that my AEM controller's 0-5v output is not stable, so I'd like to replace it.

thoughts?

PB

Hi

Last AEM wideband I wired, did not have any sensor ground out. If yours dont have it, connect the AEM controller ground to the same place that you wired both grounds on your Storm(pin 25 & pin 34) This to avoid any voltage offset that will ruin the accuracy of your wideband readings. If wired and setup correctly, the AEM gauge and PCLink software will show you the same afr reading.