A few more bugs and issues :/

TnF

Went for some road tuning last night, latest FW and pclink version (5.6.1 build 3098) on a g4+ xtreme black and had a few issues:

1) I was recording logs of my runs. F8 to start and F8 to stop the log. First 2 logs were fine. Then on the 3rd, i press F8 to stop the log and i see this (image attached). File time was huge something like 3xx:xx:xx (in the screenshot of the saved log it shows even more now). I saved the log file and it is 24MB!! wtf..for a ~10 minute log. This is clearly a bug. I turned off the engine, closed pclink and re-opened it. Logs after that were fine..

Here is the log file. I compressed it into a rar file, after you uncompress it, it will be about 24mb.

http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/sVOouj6r/file.html

logprb.png

2) I think this is already known, or at least fixed in other tables. So in the boost target table, when i'm working with psi units, if i enter 30 it will show 30.2 and so on. If i put the exact conversion value in kpa and then switch to psi it works correctly..Attached pic for reference (also in the forums it doesn't allow you to attach more than a single file even if the total size is under the filesize limit..fix this please and if you can increase it to 1-2mb)

3) This is a hardware issue and kinda weird. When the engine has been started (even when it is powered off), and you are connected with pclink, if i turn on my headlights it will disconnect. This is using your usb cable (assuming it is shielded). The headlights have nothing to do electrically with the engine harness. But i know the issue is caused by the headlights since they are chinese slim HID's so basically when their igniter sends a high voltage it induces electromagnetic interference. Assuming their shielding is bad it shouldn't cause this problem if the usb cable is shielded as well as the ecu (metallic case). The thing is that with the same laptop, same position, when i was running a Greddy e-manage ultimate i never had such an issue! So i believe because you are using the USB as a serial connection without any packet check even if a packet is messed up it drops the connection...but is your usb cable shielded? Cause if it is i thing the interference might go through the laptop :/   

Thanks again!

logprb2.png

Hi TnF,

1) Sometimes you will get a PCLog that looks like your screenshot if the ECU goes offline with PCLink, and then goes back online.

The size of the PC log file will vary depending on if parameters are changing value. When PCLink sees the value has stayed the same it knows and does not re-record the value. If you do not want PC Logging to do this there is a checkbox in the setup called 'save unchanged point'.

How large is a 10 minute PCLog for you normally?

2) The 'imperial' display mode is a visual representation of what is in the ECU, in the background all units are actually metric.  The boost target table also uses a resolution of 2 kPa, so this will have an effect also. Here is a video showing this.

https://vdoubleyou-scott.tinytake.com/sf/Nzk3MzgyXzM1NTg1Njc

3) Our tuning cable is shielded. Make sure you don't have any little cuts as this can have an effect on the shield performance.

Scott.

Hi TnF,

1) Sometimes you will get a PCLog that looks like your screenshot if the ECU goes offline with PCLink, and then goes back online.

The size of the PC log file will vary depending on if parameters are changing value. When PCLink sees the value has stayed the same it knows and does not re-record the value. If you do not want PC Logging to do this there is a checkbox in the setup called 'save unchanged point'.

How large is a 10 minute PCLog for you normally?

2) The 'imperial' display mode is a visual representation of what is in the ECU, in the background all units are actually metric.  The boost target table also uses a resolution of 2 kPa, so this will have an effect also. Here is a video showing this.

https://vdoubleyou-scott.tinytake.com/sf/Nzk3MzgyXzM1NTg1Njc

3) Our tuning cable is shielded. Make sure you don't have any little cuts as this can have an effect on the shield performance.

Scott.

Thanks for the reply Scott!

1) A 5min log is about 3mb. So a 10min should be about 6mb. Same parameters, i didn't change anything. I don't know why this one ended up so huge, showing essentially corrupted data. You think PClink disconnected while recording during the run? I have set PClink to automatically search and connect. I'm not sure what is the behavior when you are recording a log and the laptop disconnects and reconnects during recording. Maybe you can shed some light into this. Also i'm not sure how that checkbox option would affect the log in such a situation. I just checked and "save unchanged point" is not checked.

Also another related question, does internal logging still operate while recording a log in pclink? In this case i could recover that run (of course with less parameters), if you need to.

2) Thanks i didn't know that table had such a resolution. I am sure you are aware of a past issue with other maps, that had the same apparent result, i think it would be nice if every table showed the resolution because you can't remember which ones have less :P

3) There aren't any cuts, the cable is brand new as the ecu, it is only bent a bit too tight at where it is connected to the ecu, but i don't think it has damaged the internal shielding. Maybe the communication protocol is too sensitive to electromagnetic interference? (like loosing a single packet drops the connection?). Is there is a way to test other than trying a new cable?

Kind regards

Hi again TnF,

1) I suspect that some sort of corruption did happen for you. Here is a PCLog I did where the log was interrupted by the ECU going offline, and then the log resumes when going back online. You can see how the data goes in a straight line and normally there should be a red dotted vertical line to let you know that it happened. The ECU internal logging will run at the same time as the PC logging if the activation conditions for both are active.

PCLogging disconnect.PNG

3) I do not know the finer details of how the communication works when electrical interference occurs. There is a 'slow connection' checkbox you could try, this is under Options > Connection.

Scott

Edited by Scott

Hi again TnF,

1) I suspect that some sort of corruption did happen for you. Here is a PCLog I did where the log was interrupted by the ECU going offline, and then the log resumes when going back online. You can see how the data goes in a straight line and normally there should be a red dotted vertical line to let you know that it happened. The ECU internal logging will run at the same time as the PC logging if the activation conditions for both are active.

PCLogging disconnect.PNG

3) I do not know the finer details of how the communication works when electrical interference occurs. There is a 'slow connection' checkbox you could try, this is under Options > Connection.

Scott

Thanks again, i'll do some more testing and if something pops up i will let you know :) Maybe it was just a one-off bug :/