CAN Link G4+ to Aim MXL Strada

noodle

Hi All,

After 8 months of my STi being off the road - finally got it back running a whole lot of new gear (Thanks to Matt Ashley for the Tune). Including the Link G4+. Prior to this I was running another ECU (Aut****) that connected the RS232+, RS232- and negative to an aux jack which went into the ECU. Now that I have the Link G4+ it has a separate CAN/RS232 pin out which you need an adapter for (purchased both CAN/RS232 ECU Adapter, Spare CAN plug and connected both). I have connected/wired the CAN H and CAN L to the AIM CAN + (to H) and CAN - (to L) as per instructions. Set the protocol up (as per AIM instructions) on Software/Link ECU (CAN SETUP) and Race Studio 2.

Now - everything on Race Studio seems to be reading correctly after setting it up as a new 'profile'. However, once car is running - data is not being transferred (RPM/Gear/etc).

How would I go about this?

I'm going to attempt again tonight and re-check solder/wires etc.

Regards, Nick.

Hi Nick,

The original instructions we had in PCLink help for connecting to an Aim dash were written many years ago when a customer lent us their dash, so we do not have dash to do testing on. I recently updated the instructions to suit the G4+ ECUs. You have probably seen these updated directions, but have attached them in case you have not.  Another forum user has his dash working well, with the exception of lambda.

Scott.

CAN - G4+ to Pista MXL.pdf

Just chipping in here as another G4+ user with a successfully running AIM Strada dash. I've had my previous G4 Xtreme running with the Dash, and after swapping to the G4+ platform, I had to set the CAN protocols again as per Simons instructions, and everything works fine. Bare in mind you will have to set up your speed sources and gear detection protocols for "Speed" and "Gear # Display" to work, via the ECU. And any changes you make on the RaceStudios software will need to be "Transmitted" to the dash before they take any effect

AimCan.thumb.png.8aa52e25dcaac9be28e1f83

• 2 weeks later...

So - revisiting with mechanic (James). We have it running intermittently, varying from start to start. Finding that the prime (Acc/fuel) and leaving it on for a little while and then crank/start (IGN) will work. But once again. Only works a couple of times... What we have done is change the Transmit rate from 20Hz to 10Hz as stated on another thread (http://forums.linkecu.com/index.php?/topic/5268-can-bus-wiring/ )

Photos for reference.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Does James have an oscilloscope? It could be worth scoping the CAN lines, although you will not be able to tell what the data is, you will at least be able to see if anything is happening on the CAN lines when the dash is not displaying anything.

Scott.