c0op3r

I am going to be installing a ViPec i88 and I would like some features, I have a tuner to do the tuning of the car but it would be great to have the extra information to help the tuner achieve the goals I would like.  This will be in a 2005 MINI Cooper S using the ViPec i88 MINI R53 ECU.  I also have the AUX cable.

Cruise Control - I know that the steering wheel controls dont work, so what is the best way to wire this up and what inputs on the cabling do it use?

Water Methanol / Control and Map - I am using an AquaMist HFS-3 W/M kit I currently have it wired as:

• ViPec Aux1 wired to Green HFS-3 Injector Duty Cycle Input
  • ViPec DI8 to Orange Failsafe Wire on HFS-3.

Is there anything special that needs to be known or done?

Air Conditioning - Anything special that needs to be known or done for configuration?

Launch Control - I would like to set the Launch Control up more to make it POP and Backfire at say 3k RPMs, I dont really race the car, so I want more for show, what should be done to achieve more pop and maybe a little flame out the tail pipe?

Pop & Burble - MINIs came from the factory with a Pop & Burble when letting off the gas pedal and/or decelerating?  I understand that this has something to do with 'over run'.  I do not claim to know what that is, but is there a way to recreate it in the tune?

I am not sure if it matters but I am using Analog Volt 10 (brown) for the wideband O² sensor input.

Last question, can you have the K-Line and CAN both on the OBDII connector?  I have a Garmin Virb XE that has a module that plugs into the OBDII to read data from the ECU and sync's and store that with the video.  I would like to be able to read the ECU data still.

Hi Cooper 

Cruise Control - I know that the steering wheel controls dont work, so what is the best way to wire this up and what inputs on the cabling do it use?

I believe the Mini cruise control buttons use a special PWM type signal as an output. This makes it not possible to interface with the Mini plug-in ECU. If someone could make an interface that translated the factory signal into a variable (0 to 5v) output signal then the Mini plug-in ECU will work fine.

Water Methanol / Control and Map - I am using an AquaMist HFS-3 W/M kit I currently have it wired as:

• ViPec Aux1 wired to Green HFS-3 Injector Duty Cycle Input
  • ViPec DI8 to Orange Failsafe Wire on HFS-3.

Is there anything special that needs to be known or done?

Quite a few people running the Aqumist system with our ECUs now, here is a link to a forum thread that will cover what you need to know:

Air Conditioning - Anything special that needs to be known or done for configuration?

The base-map that comes with the ECU is setup to run the AC system.

Launch Control - I would like to set the Launch Control up more to make it POP and Backfire at say 3k RPMs, I dont really race the car, so I want more for show, what should be done to achieve more pop and maybe a little flame out the tail pipe?

Launch control is very configurable. You can make more noise and flames by enriching fuel, retarding ignition, and cutting some ignition events. However be aware that this can be damaging to the engine and exhaust components.

Pop & Burble - MINIs came from the factory with a Pop & Burble when letting off the gas pedal and/or decelerating?  I understand that this has something to do with 'over run'.  I do not claim to know what that is, but is there a way to recreate it in the tune?

Our ECUs are able to do over-run fuel cut. What happens during this is that the fuel is cut to the engine and the ignition timing may be retarded, I couldn't say how your engine would sound when this is happening.

I am not sure if it matters but I am using Analog Volt 10 (brown) for the wideband O² sensor input.

No problem to use An V10 for wideband input from an external controller.

Last question, can you have the K-Line and CAN both on the OBDII connector?  I have a Garmin Virb XE that has a module that plugs into the OBDII to read data from the ECU and sync's and store that with the video.  I would like to be able to read the ECU data still.

The CAN bus uses pins 6 and 14 on the ODB2 socket, I believe K-Line uses something else, so no problems there.

ECU to OBD2 socket.png