Fuel injectors flooding

jycheung

Hi all. Running a link G4+ Storm.  Having issues with engine flooding. 

My injectors and ignition 12v supply are on separate switches. With the engine off When I turn both fuel and ignition (ecu) on injectors pre crank prime then remain closed.  Without cranking the engine When I turn off ecu only and leave the fuel switch on the injectors pulsate leading to engine flooding.

is there an issue with ecu hardware or the tuning file?

joseph

Edited by jycheung

It is not a hardware or software issue, it is your wiring.  You must wire as per one of the schematics in the help file.  Not only to prevent back feed issues like you are experiencing but for the ecu to correctly apply voltage based compensations like injector dead time etc, then the ecu and injectors (& preferably coils too) must share the same common power source.

Hi Adam. Backfeeding -  That's what I thought was going on.  Interesting I never noticed this before and the car was running like a dream with the Link G4+ storm.

I am running a motec PDM with ECU, gauges, and ignition on one output and Fuel pump and fuel injectors on the other.  I can program the PDM to switch both on and off together.

Do you think the PDM will be able to supply consistent voltage to both outputs (ecu and injectors).  I would prefer not to rewire.

Joseph

I guess the first step is to program the PDM to ensure both outputs are always switched together.  Provided the wiring is reasonably sound and you have similar loads on each PDM output hopefully they will see a similar voltage.  I would confirm that by comparing the bat voltage displayed in PCLink with a voltmeter attached to an injector 12V (preferably whilst engine is at full load).

The trouble will arise if for instance the ignition circuit pulls 5 amps whilst the fuel pump circuit pulls 15amps, with voltage drop along wiring and through every connector could mean the injectors see significantly less voltage than the ecu.

• 4 years later...

I had this issue of the engine getting flooded at the track this weekend with the G4+ MINI Link plug-in.

Has this been addressed on the G4+ in the last 5 years?

Or should we do the following:

- Check ECU ground

- Check injector wiring

I'm assuming ECU / Injectors / Coil pack sharing common power source is non-issue since this is a MINI plug-in.

Thanks,

Alan