350Z triggering issue

Jo LeForce

Got a Nissan 350Z & I just installed a brand new universal G4+ Extreme with a custom loom, firmware 5.4.1.2482

I flashed the 350Z/manual base map into the ECU but I didn't get any spark! Tested all 6 ignition drives & all seem fine. I checked the trigger settings & all seem fine with trigger mode set at 'VQ35'. Then I managed to get a spark by changing triggering mode to any different value other than 'VQ35' & then changing it back to VQ35 & I would get a spark on all 6 coils along with fuel pump signal. The problem is that if I turn the ignition off & then on, I won't get any spark again unless I repeat the above process of changing the trigger mode back & forth! Although the correct trigger settings are stored in the ECU trigger mode = VQ35 with trigger 2 VVT (cam type = right hand inlet).

It seems like a software issue, I'd appreciate your suggestions

Your symptoms  indicate either ECU hold power or anti-theft is not configured properly - both of these functions will override the triggers.  I think the 350Z normally has immobiliser input via CAN so check that has been disabled.  You should be able to see the status of both of these items using the runtimes screen.

Okay, I should update to the latest firmware anyway,

In regard to the anti theft settings, it has two items: Allow CAN anti theft request (yes by default) & CAN anti theft default state, set to 'immobilized' by default, it can be changed to 'Engine Run'.

Should I change both setting?

Otherwise what would cause the ECU not to hold power, a wiring issue?

Thanks Guys

If you dont have any type of immobiliser connected to the ECU then set the anti-theft default state to "engine run".  The other setting "allow CAN request" doesnt matter.

Do you know if the ECU has been wired with the intent of using the ECU hold power function?  For the Hold power function to work properly it needs to be wired in a specific way and you will have a digital input assigned to "ignition switch" and an aux out assigned to "hold power".  If you dont think it has been wired with hold power intent then make sure you dont have any digital inputs assigned to "Ign switch" otherwise it wont go.