Link storm black - wiring stock mkIV golf clocks

LJB

Morning all,

I have recently purchased a G4+ storm black ed ecu and am weighing up my options on the dash side of things... Originally was 

going to go down the Dash2 (or alike) route but wouldn't mind keeping the stock dash for now, my question is, can this be ran with the link ecus via output as I am new to link & stand alone wiring. Basically after the basics, tach and speed. Assuming the temp & fuel can be wired separate to the ecu..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What car is this going in? Majority of the time the signals for your analog gauges can be ran just fine. Unless it is a high voltage signal lets say being pulled off the Coil pack for the RPM. Then you would run into problems. For the most part you will only be using the RPM output from the ECU. The rest will be retained within the factory wiring unless your car utilizes CAN bus for communication. At which point you can still obtain the use of the factory gauges. You would just need to know how the CAN works and apply the data to the User configurable section of the Link ECU Can side of things.

Hope this helped.

RichRDE

When we did our Audi/VW 1.8T plug-in ECU we found that some models of car received the data for the instrument cluster over the CAN bus, and other received the signals directly from the ECU or other components. What this means is that you should have no problems as the G4+ Black Storm ECU is able to use the Audi/VW CAN modes if required, and if not the speedo and tacho control can be done from the ECUs Aux Output channels.

Scott

Many thanks for the speedy reply, 

Unfortunatly I have nothing of the old loom remaining as its all been custom wired now so only have the plugs for the clocks etc.. I guess I'll go down the stand alone dash route after all! 

Any recommendations on dash's that feed / display better than others? I'm particularly drawn to the iq3s due to its looks over the RT DASH2 pro but price getting it to the uk is putting me off...   

Any recommendations on dash's that feed / display better than others? I'm particularly drawn to the iq3s due to its looks over the RT DASH2 pro but price getting it to the uk is putting me off...   

From my experience I would say avoid the IQ3 like the plague.  I have had two customers with them, both moved to something else after (multiple) hardware and software issues.  Support at Racepak is non existent. 

Race Technology is pretty hard to beat value wise. They tend to have a quite a few annoying bugs on the logging side but as a dash they work ok. 

If you are just looking for a display (rather than logging), then maybe something like this might fit your budget: http://www.plex-tuning.com/products/plex-sdm-300-dash-display-new  <I haven't tried one yet but have other plex devices that are good and well supported.

AiM MXS Strada is another with similar pricing to RT.

Cheers for the speedy response guys. I did hear of issues regarding the iq3s before, but didn't know if it was in general or with a certain type of ecu.. 

So the RT is tempting, however, would I be better off with the dash2 pro or the dash2 with the storm black? Again, I'm not fussed about data logging, just to keep an eye on things OTR & track. 

Thanks again all. 

I'm not familiar with the Dash 2, but believe it uses a converter box to bring the data into the dash (from RS232 or CAN). I expect this means you have to use whatever data has been pre-defined by Race Technology. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong on this.

With the Dash 2 Pro you can send whatever parameters you want through to the dash (via CAN bus). 

It may be worth making a list of the data you want to display on the dash and seeing if the Dash 2 does all of it.

Scott