Thunder Wiring & fuel pump speed control Questions

Talkwrench

Hello,

I'm Andrew from the UK, I'm new to the Link G4+ platform which is light years ahead of my previous standalone EMS so I have high hopes for this set up.

I'am just starting to plan out the wiring & sensor provisions for my project, a VW R32 VR6 turbo powered Audi S4 quattro avant, primarily as a street/strip/toy build aiming to achieve 700hp with the current set up, pic attached. 

I've recently purchased a G4+Thunder wire in ECU and looking over the pin outs I have a few questions.

1. There are various ground pins on each connector, is there a best practice approach to allocating these?

2. I intend to use a single E-throttle on my engine, is there any added advantage to using a ISC valve in addition to the DBW or will the DBW control the idle well enough?

3. Is there any point wiring in the wheel speeds on 4WD car for traction control purposes (variable centre differential)?

Another feature that has me thinking is the fuel pump speed control, have any of you used this on a turbo engine with a returnless system with any success? Does this strategy target a static fuel pressure and how reactive is this setup? Is it advisable to use this strategy with multiple staged fuel pumps in a returnless speed controlled manner? 

I'm sure I will think of many more questions as I progress into the wiring & calibration part of my project (still at the fabrication stage) but some of the control aspects have a knock on effect on what I need to provision in my fabrications so any help is much appreciated.

Andy

IMG_6131.JPG

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Link forums. Here are some answers:

1. There are various ground pins on each connector, is there a best practice approach to allocating these?

The pins labelled 'Ground' provide an earth to the ECU. I deally these should all be earthed to different chassis or engine points. This way if one or more open circuit the ECU will still have an earth. In reality most installers probably split them to two separate points.

2. I intend to use a single E-throttle on my engine, is there any added advantage to using a ISC valve in addition to the DBW or will the DBW control the idle well enough?

No advantage to running an ISC valve and an e-throttle. E-throttle control once tuned is precise enough for good idle control.

3. Is there any point wiring in the wheel speeds on 4WD car for traction control purposes (variable centre differential)?

The wheel speeds can be useful for a variety of different functions in the ECU including logging and motorsport features. On the Golf IV/Audi TT and Golf V we have found that the four wheel speeds come into the ECU over the CAN bus from the ABS module. There is a good chance that our existing Audi CAN mode will work on your vehicle also, so you will not need to wire the sensors directly to the ECU.

Another feature that has me thinking is the fuel pump speed control, have any of you used this on a turbo engine with a returnless system with any success? Does this strategy target a static fuel pressure and how reactive is this setup? Is it advisable to use this strategy with multiple staged fuel pumps in a returnless speed controlled manner? 

The closed loop fuel pump speed control was added for use with direct injection engines, however a dealer of ours recently used it on a naturally aspirated ford returnless system and reported good results. With the closed loop fuel pressure control there is a fuel pressure target table, so you are able to vary the target fuel pressure based upon whatever conditions you set the table axis to. By default the axis are set to Engine Speed and MAP. The control has PID tuning gains to adjust response of the system.

Nice photo, I'm bit of a VW/Audi fan and enjoy seeing projects like yours.

Scott

Thanks for the prompt response Scott, much appreciated.

OK so just to make sure I've got this right. There are pins labelled “Ground” these should all be connected to earth points on the car. “shield/Gnd” is self-explanatory. “Gnd out” are used for the sensor grounds only? I know these are the basics but I hate to assume anything.

I'm glad I don’t need a separate ISC valve that will make the inlet fabrication and final install much neater not to mention saving me some money ;)

I’ll look into the wiring diagrams to see if I can find the pin outs for the CAN bus, that would make it really simple.

I'm tempted to implement the fuel pump speed control although slightly apprehensive as its all new to me, I have managed to acquire some fuel pump control modules from a Range Rover which appear to be suitable and being OEM they should be reasonably robust.

When I make a start with the wiring and ECU config & calibration I'm sure I ‘ll be posting more frequently and with some more pictures as we all like pictures :D

Thanks again for your help. 

• 1 year later...

Time to dig up this old thread! Can't believe that was 2 years ago!!!! I suppose having children does that to a project. Thankfully I'm back at it and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I have now completed the mechanical build more or less, I have started the wiring loom and I now have some questions, @Scott  I need to pick your brains and I know you like your Veedubs so hopefully you will know :P.

I've looked over the wiring diagrams for the S4 and I have located the CAN wires at the OEM ECU, I intend to utilise the CAN bus to reduce the amount of additional wiring & inputs required, seems obvious but im assuming the OEM ECU needs to remain functional for this to work? What parameters does the B5 chassis send over CAN? this might help me identify which inputs the original ECU needs to see to maintain the CAN & ABS functions.

Secondly, configuring the LINK to utilise the VVT functions of the R32 VR6, can I use the Audi 4.2 V8 cam control mode for this or will I have to select the user defined mode? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 7 months later...