Cooling fan starts when switching off ignition.

Jens_l

Hi

I have removed the mechanical fan from the waterpump on my 7m-gte and installed an electrical fan from a Volvo V70 with Volvos 2-speed relay. I have wired it in to Auxiliary Output 1 so the fan runs at full speed. The cable for low speed is unused at the moment.

It's working great with ignition on. Fan starts and stops at the right temperature.  But when i am turning off the ignition key and the link ecu gets powerless the fan starts again and runs all the time. The volvo fan relay only have one positive cable so i can't connect the relay solenoid to ignition switch. I guess i need to hook up another relay before the fan relay and connect it to ignition switch so it can switch off the current to 30 on the fan relay. 30 is connected directly to the positive terminal on the battery now.

Volvo_relay.jpg

I am also having problem to store settings to ecu. Each time i try to save something it ends up with this 'The ecu has been reset, probably due a short term power cut or a temporary low supply voltage. Ecu memory has been reloaded. CAUTION: previous changes that were not stored may have been reset.' 

Edited by Jens_l

Yes all aux outputs must be fed from a source that is switched with ignition.  So you will need to move "30" to a relay or something that is only live with ign on.

I'm not sure about your store issue since I haven't seen that myself before but it could well be related to the same backfeeding issue through the fan aux keeping the ECU partially alive.

Great, bought a relay and cable today.

But the problem to store config was there before i hooked up the electrical fan. Tried to update firmware to the latest version but stil the same problem.

A friend borrow my ecu to try with my ecu in his car to see if his trigger problems went away. But he couldn't load his config into my ecu. We have both Link G4 Storm

Edit: The store problem seems to have fix it self today

Edited by Jens_l